Thursday, January 31, 2013

Watching for Woodpeckers


Here is the Amaryllis that will carry us into February
 
039x

past Groundhog Day and possibly into spring
 
(she said, quizzically, hopefully)
 
one would think, given the dreary skies of January, the little varmint would not see his shadow.
But I’ll bet you twenty cents he does!!
 
However, I have heard this morning
that there is another harbinger of spring upon which to put one’s trust
and anticipation.
 
It is said that the courting of the woodpecker
is the way to track Spring's advance as she loiters along snow covered lanes
in the wintry woods.
 
and it is reported that even now, as we speak,
the sap rises in the pileated woodpecker and they are a-courting!!!!
 
Do not be discouraged if Ground Hog Day is sunny -
 
put your faith in the Woodpecker.
 

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Here in the UK Hildred, we always say that the birds start their mating rituals on February 14th, which is St Valentine's day (the patron saint of lovers). Certainly I noticed at the feeders that the male birds are already getting their breeding colours. So Spring can't be far away - I am sure it will be a very welcome Spring for you - to get out in the warm air, to sit in the sun with your memories. Love as usual.

Barb said...

I have never seen the mating dance, but I've definitely heard the male drumming - not this winter so far. Surely our spring here in the mountains of CO will delay a bit. I'll hope to hear it the end of March! Your snowy Amaryllis is lovely.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun post. Your amaryllis is beautiful -- you do such lovely work. And the video was fascinating ! I had to look at it twice to be sure I really noticed 3 (three!) woodpeckers ...'hmmm! We actually have pileateds here in our park -- and I can't even get a picture of one!

I hope the signs point to an early spring, whichever one you believe!

Dimple said...

I haven't seen a pileated woodpecker here in a long time, but I have in the past. I enjoyed their dance, thanks for posting it!

I hope you are doing well, and that spring comes early!

Blessings!