Tuesday, January 29, 2013

ABC Wednesday


The letter of note this week is C
C is for Cleome

cleome
 
Cleome
“Spider Plant”
 
A lovely flower, known for its exceedingly long seed pods which develop below the flowers as the bloom progresses upward, giving the plants a spidery look.
 
As do the projecting stamens of the flowers.
 
Cleome grows in great clusters of flowers, six to eight inches in diameter, perched upon stems that grow up to six feet high.
 
Cleome grows well in average soil located in full, or nearly full sun.  It is not a shade plant and likes to  display its spectacular beauty right out in the sunshine
 
Sow Cleome when the ground is warm, – or start it indoors four to six weeks before you plan to plant it.
So, can’t you see this beautiful plant at the back of your flower bed?
 
Planted in clusters of pink, white or lavender shades it makes a most satisfying annual. and if you treat it properly and live right the seeds will probably propagate the next year.
 
I sent away for my Cleome seeds yesterday, and plan to make a new bed in the back garden where they will hide the chain link fence and add a bit of drama to the East.
 
 
cleomebed
 
For more about the letter C visit here at ABC Wednesday, with thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt who founded this Meme and all who work to maintain it.

15 comments:

photowannabe said...

What a lovely color. I love lavender shades.
Hildred, this is a perfect Choice for the letter C.

Roger Owen Green said...

don't know the name, but it looks nice!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Unknown said...

that's a lovely name for this beautiful flower. love the color, too.

C is for...

Leslie: said...

So beautiful...love the COLOUR!

Leslie
abcw team

Reader Wil said...

This is again a lovely flower! Ideal for a garden and the colour is heavenly. Thanks for sharing. Are you both okay? I wish you both a great week!

Carver said...

I love cleome. Great choice for C day. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

betty-NZ said...

Lovely 'c'. I have never heard that name before--but then, I don't know a lot of flowers. The color is great.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a beautiful flower for your "C" entry. (I love that you have chosen the flower theme and I think you should publish an alphabet garden book when you have posted your last (zinnia?)..... I had never before heard of Cleome, but I love it!

Jama said...

They are so lovely!

uberrhund said...

I have never heard of these before but then again that is exactly why I am so delighted you are posting a flower theme!
They are fluffy looking and very pretty!

Joy said...

What an interesting plant with so many elements to enjoy.
Joy - ABC Team

Wanda said...

It has such an elegant charm about it. Can almost smell it... I hope it smells as nice as it looks.

Meoww said...

wow. what a unique flower. so different!

Morning's Minion said...

Cleome is on my list to plant this summer. It grew in a rather structured bed outside the nursing home where a group from our church sings once a month. I thought I snipped off a seed pod, but can't now locate it. I often do that--put saved seeds in a bowl or vase somewhere and forget the location.

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely, unusual plant! Great choice for C!