Sunday, February 07, 2010

Signs of Spring

Caspar and I went out for a short walk this morning, just before we left for church.

Half way down the lane was a robin, - yes, truly. A Robin! A quiet friendly robin, - it didn't go flying away in a panic at our approach but loitered along the lane, looking a little askance at us, but quite content to stay put.

Of course I didn't have the camera with me, and we turned and came back before the little fellow became alarmed. I have to say it made my heart leap a little to see him, so early in February.



This is a picture of a robin, courtesy of the Internet. Probably a cousin of our solitary visitor.

We had a little nap after lunch and then took the camera and went off in the car to visit with a friend. What a lovely mild day it was, and although we didn't see any more robins we did enjoy some veiled sunshine.



As we turned into the driveway on our way home I was surprised to see that the pussy willow tree at the big house was clad in small, furry, silvery buds.

Stop, stop, I said to that intrepid driver, and he did, and I got out with the camera and took a picture or two, feeling more than elated.



The picture is dark, and the buds don't show well on it, but the blue of the sky makes a beautiful background for the dark branches.

I cherish a child of this tree, planted out in the meadow, and when we reached home I quickly went to investigate. Sure enough - here were more pussy willow branches....



As we came up the driveway the sun was just slipping behind the mountains in the south-west and there was a lovely splash of pink across the blue sky.



Heavenly day.....

4 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh it really is almost spring. I have been hoping that our daughter's pussywillow will blossom before we leave on our roadtrip. I'll check tomorrow when I see her. Lovely! And a robin. Sure signs. Tx for sharing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I too love pussy-willow Hildred. It is not out here yet but the hazel catkins are beginning to fatten up.

Hildred said...

Yes, well the pussy willows are still there, but so are the clouds - right down to the valley bottom! But I'm not complaining. Yesterday was surely not just a spring come on, or a one time thing!

Barb said...

A lovely dawn to dusk sojourn with you, Hildred. Please send Charles out with the pruners and have him cut you a large bouquet of the Pussy Willows. I saw some at Whole Foods over the weekend and longed for a bouquet of my own. However. I didn't want to lug them the mile home!