Friday, January 08, 2010

A day of Utter Delight

It certainly wasn't the weather that made it so gratifying, - nippy, windy and treacherous ice underfoot.

But the library yielded a new book by Alexander McCall Smith - 'The Lost Art of Gratitude'



and my venture into the knitting of socks on a grand scale took off most satisfactorily when I reached the heel of the first sock.



In a recent posting I spoke about this splendid idea I had for making wonderful woollen socks for all the fellows on my Christmas list. The number of socks to be made expanded to thirteen pairs. Perfect!! I like things to be mathematically orderly. Thirteen pair of socks equals twenty-six socks, and by knitting one sock each two weeks (theoretically) I should be finishing off the last sock Christmas Eve, 2010!!!! You will note I make no allowances for contingencies, - they are not allowed this year!

I am making the socks from washable wool to save the washers of socks from shrinking them and becoming martyr's to Grandma's Christmas Sock Project.

As if this were not enough to make the day notable let me show you what I received as a birthday gift from our son and daughter-in-law who live away and are wonderfully creative.



A most beautiful wooden ring!

The primary wood is magnolia.....

The centre band is Ancient Kauri, - timber that is aged from 30,000 to more than 50,000 years. It has been discovered in prehistoric forests buried at the time of the last ice age, located on the Northern Island of New Zealand.

The ring is bordered by Apple Wood and Grenadilla (African Blackwood)

It fits perfectly and I am just so pleased and honoured to have such a lovely gift.

The ring with it, in the little wooden box that David also made, is one of the first rings he made some years ago. It is aged to perfection, as is the lovely olive wood ring he made for Charles.

A sweet brooch....



and a bracelet....



David and Nicola live a rather romantic life, off the grid in the Cariboo country of British Columbia. They send their beautiful rings to all corners of the world.

Vincent, our youngest son, lives there too, and between them and their neighbours they run a sustainable logging operation to utilize the beetle infested pine wood on their property.

A simple and truly authentic way of life, and they made my day delightful!

As are the blogs they write about their way of life and its accomplishments.

We are often overwhelmed by the love and time and generosity which all our children give us.

5 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely post Hildreth. I read 'Lost Art of Gratitude' earlier this month (from our library) and finding a new book by A McC S always makes my day! Then I read the rest of your post and my goodness what a wonderful day you had full of happiness. The book was a perfect one for you to find on this day. (Gratitude is obviously NOT a lost art in your family!)

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

oh what lovely wooden things. I love wood and you will sure enjoy those gifts. did the knitting get finished?

Hildred said...

First sock done Fonnell, - on to the second. Only 25 more to go!!

Our granddaughter and her husband are loving the wooden tops that you and Phil made, - not only for little ones, - adults are intrigued by them too.

Barb said...

Yes, Hildred, a child's love and generosity is a precious gift indeed, and that wooden jewelry is magnificent! Your sock goal is commendable - I'll wait to see a photo of all 13 lined up on Christmas Eve! It was fitting that you found a book on gratitude.

Aussiemade said...

Hi Hildred and Charles, what fantastic gifts and such amazing skills. My DH is a wood turner. So wood in our home is a very loved item, plus the fact we live in a wooden home.
Re: Kauri wood, we went to NZ a couple of years ago and were so fortunate to see the giant Kauri trees, and visit the Karui museum on the West Coast of the North Island. Such amazing trees to see. Thankyou for sharing your lovely gift.
I enjoy Alexander Macall Smiths The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series but have not seen this book you mention. I will have to search it out at our Library.

Socks how brave I have never tried to knit socks.