Saturday, April 11, 2020

April 11th, 2020




Sitting out on the back bench

sipping tea

with a tad of brandy to help me recover

from making lemon pies

for Easter.....

when I caught sight of these

lovely deer, having an afternoon stroll.

As a matter of fact

there were half a dozen of them,

but these two were more attentive

and aware.

And in view of the camera....

I snapped a few pictures of the lovely

red stubs of peonies, that are growing

by leaps and bounds

and promise that they will be in full bloom

by Queen Victoria's birthday

on the 24th of May.


(this picture is from the back garden on 10th)

The apricots are in bloom.....

and the forsythia.......

the quince is pregnant with bud

and will grace the garden

with their prickly branches and their gorgeous colour...soon!


Helen Shideler

The daffodils are budding and blooming

This is an old picture from
the hill garden - alyssum is not here, alas.

but the little clumps here
are just as delightful.....





Just the other day I saw two very small woodpeckers..

smaller than the red headed woodpeckers

that sometimes visit here,

 lovely harbingers of spring!

Along with the Robins, of course.

I keep both doors open,

and the spring air wafts in and out

along the hallway.

Off in the distance there is a willow,

still with its glowing golden branches

before the leaves burst forth.

This is the first place I have lived in

since our marriage that doesn't have a tremendously

huge and wonderful willow,

although my daughter does nurse a curly willow

in her garden across the lane, -

one of the many that Charles rooted from a branch

of the curly willow we had in the hillside garden....

the others line the driveway leading to the house

where we lived,  and have grown tall

and willowy (what else) and make

a lovely entranceway.

 Here is the willow on 10th,

with a swing

and a grandchild!!!!

What a lovely life it's been -  and is!!!!


6 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Beautiful and cheering pictures - and text Hildred. Yes, from our advanced age we are very lucky to be able to look back with joy on our lives aren't we? Happy Easter

Ruth said...

Happy Easter! Your photos are so cheerful - something sweet to think about rather than what's going on everywhere. New hearing aids are letting me finally hear bird song! Yesterday I remembered bobolinks from a story book when I was small (B for Bobolink.) I haven't heard of them in years and years - I wonder if they're still around. Anyway, enjoy your flowers and birds, and the deer. Happy Spring! Every one we see is a blessing.

Ruth said...

I'm sorry - I'd meant to say that I'm reading a very old book without a publishing date, and in it there's a bird called "Bob-o-Lincoln" which triggered my childhood memory. That really piques my interest. Maybe that was once their name? Do you know?

Hildred said...

Merrily swinging on brier and weed,
Near to the nest of his little dame,
Over the mountain-side or mead,
Robert of Lincoln is telling his name:
Bob-o’-link, bob-o’-link,
Spink, spank, spink;
Snug and safe is that nest of ours,
Hidden among the summer flowers.
Chee, chee, chee

Ruth, this is the first verse of a poem that came up when I googled Bob-0-Lincoln.....

Hill Top Post said...

Oh Hildred, your words are almost as grand as spring itself. And, to be so fortunate to have a curly willow under which to swing...

Ruth said...

I guess I was having a senior moment - just as soon as I hit the Send button, I realized I should have googled it!! Thank you for posting it!! Wouldn't it be nice to see and hear a Bob-o-Lincoln...