Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday night!
August 24th, 2019

Well, I won't be going dancing tonight!  

And I am having a small hiatus from weaving...

(to give my right knee a little rest from the #2 treadle - 

the knee I hurt water skiing, - a self inflicted wound

inspired by a bout of egoism)

I considered a short session 

of Candy Crush

but decided in favor of a good book!

one that I can take to bed with me....

I have been re-reading Loren Eiseley lately

and am almost finished

"The Firmament of Time"

Probably just about a couple of dozen pages.

Just right to finish before the head starts to nod

and the eyes close

and the book falls

and I waken with a start

and start reading again

but I probably don't absorb the last few pages

and there, I'll have to do it all over again!!! 

This is a book I bought from Thrift Books.

A collection of Essays (or lectures)

beautiful prose, - easy to read

and very thought provoking.

Loren Eiseley was seventy

when he died in 1977

so there have been a number of more recent books

written on anthropology

but I doubt if any of them tell too much more

about man's scientific thoughts

on the nature of the world.

I find that "time is of the essence" these days

in many of the things I hope to do

and so I think it behooves me to take Bruce

out for his before-bed business,

and let Callie in for treats.....

and take myself to bed, together with

"The Firmament of Time".


3 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

"Time is of the essence," for sure! In one of my little notebooks in which I sometimes write things I want to remember, I have these words that I believe are yours.

"And now that I am older and time is slipping and sliding so quickly, I have still such great enthusiasm to fill it to the brim. But sometimes I am realistic enough to know that Time is a Trickster and life is tenuous, so the answer is to wake up smiling and try to live with grace and patience day by day..."


Hildred said...

Thank you! I don't know if these are my words but they certainly inspire me to slow down a bit and smell the roses!!!

Barb said...

I love reading in bed, Hildred, and often drop the kindle as I begin to dose. Then, I have to go back 2 pages to where I remember the thread of the story again! Hope your end of summer is still beautiful there. It's lovely here though getting cooler day by day.