Friday, April 20, 2018














Ode to Spring, and all that

er- Spring
you perfectly priceless old thing
I'm frightfully bucked at 
the signs that one sees,
The jolly old sap
in the topping old trees. 

The priceless old lilac, and that sort of rot...
It jolly well cheers a chap up.
does it not?

It's so fearfully bright, so amazingly right
and one feels as one feels
when one gets rather tight....

er- Spring


I write from memory, a poem from long ago, 
before I was married...

When I still did secretarial duty
and spent lunch hours
in linen shops
and greeting card establishments,
with a kindred soul.

In the early 1940's - war time
before I had even met the Beloved!

In the midst of another late spring.....

Somewhere in all my 'stuff'
I have this poem
but I moved it from the drawer beside my bed
with other poetry from that era
and I don't know where I put it!!! (she wailed)

Mr. Google has evidently never heard
of this particular
Ode to Spring, and all that....

He quotes Gray and many
others who waxed deliriously about Spring
but this particular poem
which has happy memories for me
if nowhere to be found?

Not even the poet ..
I'm sure it wasn't Ogden Nash,
but someone of his ilk..

It is said
Nash wrote about spring,
although it is expected he copied  "Anonymous"

"Spring is sprung, the grass is riz
I wonder where the boidies is..?
The boid is on the wing,
Absoid,
I always thought the wing was on the bird."

Also written from old memories...school days!

Well, if anyone knows

"Ode to Spring and all that"
and can correct my memory,.
I would be much obliged!!










4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hello Hildred. I have not heard your amusing poem about Spring before - suspect it is an American poet. I do know the Ogden Nash one - my father used to quote it. You have left a line out I believe - this is the version my father said:

Spring is sprung,
the grass is riz.
I wonder where dem birdies is.
Dem birds is on the wing I heard.
But that's absurd.
I always thought the wing was on the bird.

Hildred said...

Thank you Pat - my memory is not what it was!!!! I think the Ode to Spring I am looking for appeared in a newspaper. but I guess I will just have to wait until the big clean-up and throw out before I find my original copy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

No idea really, but it makes me smile!!!! For some reason, I hear it in the voice of Bertie Wooster.

Hildred said...

Well Sallie, Wodehouse came to mind, but I think The Weaver of Grass is on the right track when she suspects an American poet imitating Bertie....