Friday, December 01, 2017

Then and now...

I sit at the breakfast table, lost in thought of bygone days, bygone Christmases and the people who made them so special.

I am waiting for my Daughter-in-law to arrive with cleaning supplies, as it has been deemed that I am too ancient to deal with deep cleaning of dark corners, and such....and she is coming to do those lowly tasks while I weave away merrily, trying to act my age.

I have every reason to be merry about my weaving.  Our youngest son turned the melancholy month of November into thirty days of delightful anticipation.

He came from the Chilcotin to rescue and restore my eight shaft Glimakra, which/who was put into retirement when we downsized and I no longer had a wonderful roomy studio for her to live in.

And when I felt I was no longer able to crawl into her nether parts to change treadles...



But Vince was, and he set her up, dressed her beautifully in new Texsolv lam and treadle cords, and was so meticulous about what he did, and how he did it, that when we pulled the Jack Pin all was in balance and ready for me to start weaving the warp I had put on when he started working.





It is possible that this video will not work, but even the photo gives
one a good idea of the patience and contemplation required!!



Shafts all even  - sheds amazing with no out-of-place threads for the shuttle to catch or run under...perfectly wonderful.  His father's son, no doubt about that!!!!


And I am so grateful......


5 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

So, November turned out to be not so melancholy after all! One never knows! I wish I knew more about weaving so I could comment more intelligently, but... I do just love the photos of your son and the lovely out-of-retirement Glimakra. Happy weaving!

Morning's Minion said...

Weaving is one of the things I hoped to do in life--although I don't understand all the terminology, this was an interesting look at how a loom is set up. How lovely that your son could do this so precisely.

Barb said...

Hello Hildred, I'm so glad your loom is set up and ready to weave thanks to your son. I'm wondering where you put it? Don't fret about not being able to clean the dark corners. Weaving sounds like so much more fun to me! Stay well.

Hildred said...

Hi Barb - so nice to hear from you! I put the loom in our bedroom,.- luckily it is a large room and I had replaced the beautiful big bed Charles and I had with a smaller one, so with it a few feet closer to the window there was lots of room for the loom. I am now on my third towel. I miss the former loving occupant so much, but the loom is a small compensation....

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are blessed with children who DO obviously remember being taught well (I am reading backwards as I catch up!)..... Barb asked the question I had ... I am glad I read the comments and your answer. And I agree that weaving sounds like a much better use of your time than cleaning dark corners. (I cannot do either one).