Monday, June 05, 2017

V is for Veritable

ABC Wednesday
June 7th, 2017
The letter is V for Veritable

I have chosen this word for V because I find it has always filled me with such confidence.

How could you not be fond of a word that expresses 

genuine, factual, indubitable, unquestionable, 

authentic, reliable, trustworthy, valid and true.



Would you not say that these

children are listening to

a VERITABLE storyteller?

. . . . . . . . .


On the other side of the coin

the word Veritable holds a little sadness,

reminding me of that last great push

by the Allies in the effort to end

World War Two

Operation Veritable

was the northern part of an Allied Pincer

movement that took place during

the final stages of the war and in which

the Canadian Army played an important part.

My husband's brother was killed here,

in a meadow just across from

the Hochwald Forest.


Such a sad place to die...
a veritable tragedy.

more Vs here at ABC Wednesday. with thanks
to all who maintain this veritably wonderful meme.

8 comments:

Leslie: said...

Both happiness and sadness can be expressed in this one word. My condolences, even though it was long ago!

Leslie
abcw team

photowannabe said...

Tender and meaningful post.
I hadn't thought of using that word before. It is perfect.

MelodyK said...

Perfect choice, regarding to how you explain it.

And yes one word can contain so much explanations

Photo Cache said...

Yes, a perfect V word and post.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

ellen b. said...

Joy and sorrow go hand in hand...
Hope you have a great week.

Joy said...

The forest looks so still and beautiful and yet how sad the carnage of war lies under those flowers.

Roger Owen Green said...

venerable always reminds me of Bede
ROG, ABCW

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Hildred I was smiling at first because I love that word -- and I love your veritably brilliant posts. But then I grew sad ... I did not know about that forest or that battle in 'the Great War'.... so sad.