Thursday, March 31, 2016

SPRIINNGGG

March 31st, 2016

Tomorrow is April Fools Day, and tonight, if you are up at midnight, quickly say White Rabbits for good luck, but today, - today was a wonderfully warm spring day.  The sun shone, the sky was to drown in, - all that beautiful blue enveloping the warm earth...

I planted some more Swiss Chard, a bit of lettuce, and lost myself in the compost heap before I gathered a fair amount in a pot and made a little corner bed, surrounded by stones, wherein I shall tuck some lilies, I think.

The neighbour's apricot tree is in bloom - early for fruit blooms but looking lovely with the white picket fences and the blue sky.


In the raised bed a few hellebores still linger



and some blue hyacinths


Across the lane my daughter's sweet forsythia bush glows in the afternoon sun.


Bruce, who reminds me so much of Caspar, keeps me company, and Callie in line.



The daffodils out front are in their glory, and the peonies and delphiniums
are stretching their lovely limbs and even showing a bud or two
on the older, earlier peonies that were here when we came.


 in the house the hellebores that graced the altar on Easter Sunday
sit on the dining room table,
enchanting, - the shades of rose and white are tinged with just a touch of green
and they droop so languidly and with such grace....


A few daffodils and a bit of forsythia 


and across the valley K Mountain still clings
to snow in the crevices
as a reminder that April is fickle
and sometimes goes elsewhere and sends
cold winds and chilly rain in her place.



I find great comfort in the garden!!!!
It is so alive, so promising.......



6 comments:

Penny said...

Sounds wonderful.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love all hellebores Hildred and have a lot in my garden. The Lenten roses are such a drab colour from the window as I can only see the backs of the petals, but walking round the garden today I saw into them and they are the most beautiful deep reddish purple. Yes, even up here in the North of England, Spring is on its way. It has been such a long winter.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I said white rabbit" and thought of you (but it wasn't at midnight). Spring looks wonderful in your yard Hildred. Each picture made me smile (and brought back memories). I remember Spring (she said, from subtropical Florida, where the season is very different).

Nicola Finch said...

Such a bright post Mum! Thanks for sharing some Similkameen sunshine with us! XO

Barb said...

Thank you for these garden photos Hikdred. Please smell the flowers for me. I remember one spring when you forced forsythia to bloom in the bathtub. I've found spring near Aspen at lower altitude. No snow but not much blooming yet.

Hildred said...

Don't have that lovely big bathtub with the sunny windows to force forsythia anymore, Barb, but I'm sure my granddaughter enjoys bathing her children in it!!!