Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Little of This and a Smidgin of That

Saturday
August 15th, 2015

I seem to be in for the long haul as far as longevity is concerned, - enjoy good health and the aches and pains of old age have not yet engulfed me.....  This fine weather allows me to leave my cane by the door,  ignoring the question that surrounds me as I prepare to depart - 'have you got your cane' - 
have you got your CANE?'




                   'No honey', I say, offhandedly ' not today.  The weather is good                                and  I'm feeling quite youngish - 

                    I will when it's icy and trouble lies waiting  under a skiff of snow. 

                    I promise'............








However, when it comes to day to day living moderation is my motto and it's a little of this and a smidgin of that, with a little breather in between. to keep me going.....

Today I am weaving and breathing, weaving and breathing, with an hour out at lunch time to go and relieve the cashier at the Bargain Centre so she can eat her lunch in peace.

I come home and have my own lunch, - examine the DVD's I brought from the library yesterday and decide to watch 'Tristram Shandy A Cock and Bull story' after the evening news tonight.

The news these days is full of wild fires -  blazing just over the hill in the South Okanagan, and off to the East a dreadful vociferous fire in the Rock Creek area that had campers fleeing to safety, some in their swimsuits and without shoes.

Douglas Drouin photo



My first-born drove me to Penticton yesterday to see the audiologist about cranking up my hearing aid a notch or two, and when we came back we were forced to detour through a neighbouring hamlet to avoid live wires and poles which had come down through a wildly forecast rain, wind and thunder storm.  Much wind, quite a bit of thunder, but alas, not enough rain to provide a great deal of relief for firefighters.  I came home to find Callie quivering at the sound of thunder, but not so frightened that she had sought refuge under the blankets on my bed.

As far as the audiologist was concerned it was a splendid visit, as she raised my hearing aid (only have one, - other ear completely gone) to 90% and told me of a wonderful device that I can wear on the silent side which will pick up the sound from the hearing aid in the good ear, so I will have hearing on both side!!!  Amazing and delightful - if I have anything to complain about it's the inability to hear in social conditions, which leads me to regretfully decline invitations which I would otherwise so enjoy....

I look wide-eyed at the small oblong my son wears around his neck which allows him to answer his phone, dial out on his phone and do his bidding at other wonderful commands.  Amazing!!  I, who once must have stared wide-eyed at the crystal set my father had down the basement which brought in squeaks and squiggles with music, faintly, in the background.

While I had breakfast this morning I was checking Gmail and Facebook on my Ipad, and happened to click on the 'BOOKS' icon.  Up came John O'Donahue's  'Eternal Echoes' and before me on the screen was 'Matins', part of which reads.....

I arise today
Blessed by all things,


Wings of breath,
Delight of eyes,
Wonder of whisper,
Intimacy of touch,
Eternity of soul,
Urgency of thought,
Miracle of health,
Embrace of God.

May I live this day
Compassionate of heart,
Gentle in word,
Gracious in awareness,
Courageous in thought,
Generous in love.

with all of This in mind I am off to do a bit of That on my loom -
 fifteen inches until the first towel is finished
just in time for supper......









5 comments:

Penny said...

I love your posts, I think there is hope for me. Hope those fires don't come too close, as we start spring, it won't be long before summer here and then our fire season 'down under'.

Morning's Minion said...

I am delighted to encounter--even at long distance, someone who has not been 'engulfed' by advancing age. I do sympathize with your hearing problems--tinnitus in my left ear threatens to drown out the clarity of sound in my right.
I'm hoping to learn the rhythm of working and resting--difficult to do when one is painting a room--but I can always fold up for a bit when the task is done.

Barb said...

I'm glad when I come to visit your blog to read that you're still well and doing the things you love which always seems to include helping others. So good that your hearing can be improved by new technology, too. Bob and I are hearing less well as the years go by, but neither of us needs an aid quite yet. The days are beautiful here in the mountains - cool and even a bit of moisture to keep the threat of fires low. Stay well, Hildred.

Anne at Shintangle Studio said...

Harking back to your post of August 15, it was interesting to read about your perspective on the fires: that Oliver one looked spectacular and terrifying by night in the photo you showed. Perhaps I'm just emotional after 10 days of near constant anxiety and unusual times that needed an altogether different level of energy and attention, but that poetry snippet brought tears to my eyes. Just lovely. My dear husband and I are entering potential hearing aid territory too. Dh ran chainsaw without ear protection for years before anyone realized how dangerous it was for one's hearing, and I have bad genes in the hearing department. I agree with Barb: thank heavens for technology with a problem like this.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love reading about your thises and your thats. What a wonderful miracle (OK-- technology advancement -- but I prefer miracle) is that hearing aid for your silent ear! (Will that help with the social situations?) It's wonderful you can walk to the Thrift Store to put in an hour; can imagine how wonderful that must be for the all-day volunteers to know they have a reliable person to allow them lunch.