Saturday, May 30, 2015

she said, poignantly.....





picture by Pat Perrin, - dearly treasured

...amd what are you going to do tomorrow? asked my youngest son
as we ended our nightly chat from the Chilcotin.

I thought quickly - what am I going to do tomorrow???

Nothing sprang to mind.

Oh, I said, tomorrow is a surprise - I have no idea what
I will do tomorrow, but it will be something
that pleases me.....

And that's what it has come to.

I try to remain disciplined and keep my "shoulds"  in good order
and limit my commitments
so that each day is governed by that lovely question

What SHALL I do today!!!!!

I haven't yet reached the stage where I wander the streets, running my cane along fences
and picking other people's flowers,  but I definitely pick and choose
and I only really commit to things I consider very important
and anything involving family.

So last night, as I drifted off to sleep, I thought about tomorrow,
and what I would do after the obligatory pleasures of
the early morning hour in the garden -
and I thought how nice it would be to have some buttermilk biscuits
around for a few days, and what a pleasure
it would be to make them!

And I could write a little Stone about them - which
is something I am trying to do each day
(as an 'I shall' not an 'I should')

So I got the blue bowl out and the salt and flour
and rising ingredients,  turned on the oven to 450
and in no time at all they were done, baked and cooling on the counter.



I added a little water to the last of that delicious lamb stew I made 
the other day, and put it in the blender...

Presto - lamb and vegetable soup
and fresh baked biscuits

and all on a delightful whim and a fancy that came to haunt my drowsy thoughts.

Life is good if you are creative with the 'shall' philosophy
instead of the 'oh dear, I should, I should, I should!!'

Even better if you have a certain someone to share the biscuits with

(she said, poignantly)




6 comments:

Penny said...

not sure how to reply to this post, but like the idea of not being held to should.

Granny Marigold said...

A lovely and thought-provoking post.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hildred, as to that last bit - you can share them with your beloved Charles in spirit - confident that he is watching over you.
I do so admire your stalwart efforts to go on - you inspire me. He would be so proud of you as I am sure your family are.

Hildred said...

Oh yes, Pat, I do share - in spirit. But sometimes I long for the comfort of his hand in mine...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It isn't nearly as good (no comparison) -- but you did share those biscuits and that soup with your friends at least virtually. And brought smiles (poignant) to many faces in so doing. Thank you!!!

And I already am that little old lady who wanders around stealing other people's flowers (but only with my camera .... I hope I will always be satisfied with that).

Deb said...

I love this post. Makes me realise I have too many shoulds in my life and not enough shalls.