Friday, May 15, 2015

A Stroll through the Garden


I took a little stroll through the garden this morning,

camera in hand

and found that spring has put all her lovely flowers to bed

to rest in peace and prepare for

next year's marvelous show of daffodils and tulips, swaying in the soft breezes

of April.

In their place summer makes a tentative entry

with that beautiful ubiquitous yellow ranunculus

and some lovely early peonies..

the first of the iris, the purple globes of the allium,

  and great growth on the hostas.

The roses are bursting with pink, and the clematis that

covers the gate are awash in long slender buds.

I take my lunch outside these days,

along with my new book

(McCall Smith's Forever Girl)

and sometimes I have a bit of ice cream and stewed rhubarb 

(fresh from the garden) for dessert.


Here is a little collage of some of the promises

summer is honouring.......


3 comments:

Barb said...

You have so much blooming, Hildred. How I wish I could sit out in the garden with you. It's snowing hard here in Breckenridge. Winter does not want to leave us.

Hildred said...

Oh my, - snow!!!! We are having the equivalent moisture in the form of a lovely rain and I wish I could share it with you....

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh how beautiful Hildred! Every flower, every word! Summer already ... Or almost anyway. And lunch in the garden sounds amazing, especially dessert. I have not eaten rhubarb for years....

And I'm off to Amazon to check out and probably buy that A mcC S book!