Monday, February 09, 2015

Lady Ella

ABC Wednesday
February 11th, 2015
The letter is E

for ELLA FITZGERALD

The Queen of Jazz - The First Lady of Song.



Ella Jane Fitzgerald was an American jazz vocalist with a vocal range spanning three octaves!!

She was noted for her purity of tone, her impeccable diction, her phrasing and intonation

and a "horn-like' improvisational ability,

particularly in her scat singing. (Google)

In honour of the season of Love, threee special recordings.....









Enjoy!!

Many thanks to Roger and Denise and all Elegant helpers who keep this meme
 circulating and bring pleasure to all who take part.  

To see more great Es click here for ABC Wednesday


13 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I've loved her singing since I was a very little boy who was convinced that her name was "Elephants Gerald". Who wouldn't love a singer with such a great name?

Ann said...

Such a TALENT!! Can't say all performers have her range.
Ann

Roger Owen Green said...

I LOVE Ella! Have at least a half dozen of her albums.

ROG, ABCW

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for sharing your videos of Ella! She was a great lady!
Have a great week, Hildred!
Wil, ABCW Team

Reader Wil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Weaver of Grass said...

She was always one of my all time favourites Hildred.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

She was so wonderful! Thank you for the links. I saw part of an old old movie not too long ago, where a very young and slender Ella was singing A ticket a tasket". I'd never seen her as a young person before.

ellen b. said...

You covered E and Valentine's day in one post...well done!

Trubes said...

I love Ella, the most perfect Jazz voice ever.
I enjoyed listening to The Shadow of Your Smile, it's such a long time since I heard that.
She even made a recording of 'Can't Buy Me Love' the smash hit by The Beatles, written by Paul McCartney, although it only reached 34 in the charts. I thought it was a superb cover!

Best wishes,
Di,
ABCW team.

fredamans said...

Love Ella!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Classy and classic♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/eastward-ho/

Arthur Schenck said...

I love Ella, too. Weirdly, one thing I remember about her is her TV commercials for Memorex audio tapes, and she's the ONLY reason I remember it!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I was fortunate to see her perform in the late 1980s. Although she was a much older and smaller version of herself, her voice was the same. It was magical.