Monday, February 17, 2014

Tugs of Spring

 

 

 
I woke with the urgent need to fling open the windows and let the fresh air rush into the house, spiraling in all the stale corners and circling the ceilings and the hallways.
 
Somewhere in my dreams I must have encountered Spring, but alas, she had only sent her
 Envoy, - slightly warmer temperatures. 
No sunshine, no blue skies.  Indeed, the sky has grown heavier and clouds have crept down lower in the valley so that on looking out all thoughts of Spring and uplifted spirits
would surely have vanished.
 
But wait, - the pavement is dry. 
 The ice has disappeared, except for small spots that even ancients with canes
should be wary enough to avoid. 
There is no wind. 
 The air feels warm and the door, open to the summer room,
 draws me like a magnet.
 
I have birthday cards to mail and books to return to the library
and a promised visit to an old friend.
 
Already I am recapturing a little of the spirit of adventure
after this long, enforced sojourn indoors.
 
I still have not retrieved any forsythia branches from the old garden. 
 Or uncovered the Lenten Roses  from what was their icy prison......
Or stirred up the compost that is hopefully warm and busy and productive,
making rich soil for the new pot containers we brought home from the Garden Shop......
 
Is this the day?????
 

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

First of all Hildred, I love your new header.
Then I love those snowdrops. I too have been searching for my Lenten roses, several are in bud and a few warm days would no doubt urge them to open, but after sunshine yesterday we have had thick fog here today.

Barb said...

Just as I was reading your post, an E-mail came to me from you! I like thinking of you writing to me as I write to you! I always look forward to your forsythia blossoms, Hildred. Remember when you forced them in the bathtub? Charles would be shaking his head in agreement with all that must be done to welcome spring. Be wary of the ice indeed! PS I love the new Header!

Dimple said...

If today is not the day, then it will be here soon!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Spring is definitely on the way! Now is the time when I start missing "home" in the Pacific Northwest. You've heard this a million times from me. The downside of no winter is no early spring.