Tuesday, February 19, 2013

ABC Wednesday, February 20th, 2013

The letter this week is F

How about the sweet Forget-me-not !!

forgetmenot

A lovely and appealing spring flower, – a touch of blue sky reflected in the garden among the June peonies and lilies and daisies.

The official flower of the State of Alaska, the Provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador and a poignant choice for the Altzheimer Society.

The Forget-me-not was also adopted by Masonic Lodges in Germany during the Second World War,  in place of the official Masonic crest which was subject to great persecution during those difficult years.

Henry lV  of England cherished the forget-me-not as his emblem after his exile in 1398 and it is said that when God was naming the flowers in the Garden of Eden he overlooked this small blue flower, and as he prepared to leave he heard a plaintive voice at his feet, reminding him that he had forgotten to give it a name.  God said, ‘I have forgotten you once, but I will not forget you again, – Forget-me-not shall be your name.’

The flower stands for loyalty, friendship, love and fidelity, – the only really unpleasant thing about it is that the leaves taste quite nasty, but you weren’t going to eat the leaves anyway, were you?

In literature Tolkein was also drawn to the Forget-me-not and it is associated with Tom Bombadil in his Hobbit /Ring stories.
 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow had this to say about it, -
Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of Heaven
Blossom the lovely flowers, the forget-me-nots of the angels.
 
forget-me-not-flowers





A sweet, romantic boutonniere
 
For more F’s click here to visit ABC Wednesday
thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt and the unforgettable  Roger

14 comments:

Unknown said...


Well done. Always was one of my favorite flowers. I also like Dutchman's Breeches! http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/dutchman.htm

Cheers,
Uttley

photowannabe said...

I really like for get me nots. They are so dainty and a lovely shade of blue.
My Mom always had them growing in her garden.
Love the legends surrounding the flower.

Roger Owen Green said...

forget-me-nots was a clue on the game show JEOPARDY! recently. no one got the answer!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Unknown said...

very pretty! fabulous shots.

F is for...

uberrhund said...

Such pretty little flowers the Forget-me-nots, again I don't think I have seen them doing well around here in June, much to hot for them I think. Blue and lavender flowers seem to need a little shade and cooler temps than we have in So Cal.
Thank you for the theme,I look forward to getting flowers from you weekly now!

Linda said...

I love seeing flower photos during the winter. Forget me not is a lovely little plant.

Reader Wil said...

How can anybody forget such a pretty flower? I always liked those very simple flowers like forget -me-not and daisies!
Thank you Hildred for these sweet blue messangers of spring!

Lea said...

Lovely!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love forget-me-nots too Hildred.

Carver said...

Fascinating post and beautiful forget me nots. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Jannibele said...

There they Are, my childhood favourites! Love them. Have a blue forget-me-not carpet in my garden every year:)

ChrisJ said...

I love forget-me-nots. I think the name makes it memorable to children. I certainly remember it from early years.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I have always loved these flowers. The history was most interesting to learn.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Pretty forget-me-not for sure...

Fitness... Fashion... Family

Playing catch up again with F entries..
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team