Saturday, December 01, 2012

The Beloved

 
 
 
 
 
 
The Widow
Charles Goldie
 
 
I am stepping lightly into the world again,
 
 testing the waters of Widowhood with tentative toes.
 
I have been wandering slowly and hesitantly in Blogland
 
appreciating the kind words of condolence
 
and trying to find my way back to posting.
 
I see the birds come to feed, and the year prepare for winter.
 
The stark beauty of bare branches touches my heart
 
but my life seems circumscribed
 
by one reality
 
and my mind at rest is the dwelling place of only one lonely thought. 
 
Since early in our marriage I have cherished this poem by Sara Teasdale
 
The Beloved
 
It is enough of honour for one lifetime
To have known you better than the rest have known,
The shadows and the colours of your voice,
Your will, immutable and still as stone.
 
The shy heart, so lonely and so gay,
The sad laughter and the pride of pride,
The tenderness, the depth of tenderness,
Rich as the earth and wide as heaven is wide.
 
Time is the great healer, and December is here,
the month of love and new beginnings.

Tomorrow I will plant the paper whites! 
 

7 comments:

Penny said...

We must have time to grieve but we must not wallow in it and it sounds as if that is what you are doing. I have copied the poem, it says such a lot
Stlll thinking of you.

Hildred said...

Yes, you are right Penny. The grieving comes and goes, but on the whole we are doing quite well - I got caught up in a bad moment!

Wanda..... said...

Your words and thoughts are as lovely as the poem, Hildred. May all your wonderful memories give you comfort and warmth this winter.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have been there in the past Hildred and I know how hard it is to pick up the pieces. Well done for making a beginning. Love

Nan said...

What a very touching post. Your words, the picture, the poem - all of a beautiful, sad piece. I think it is good you continue blogging. There can be great comfort in writing, and in being cared for by your readers.

Barb said...

I've been thinking of you, Hildred, and of your long marriage to Charles. It's hard for me to imagine the empty spaces which he once filed. The paper whites seem like hope, though. I know that you're strong. He would want you to live and to flourish. To enjoy. I'm glad that you're writing again. I've heard grief is a bit easier when shared.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The post and beautiful poem is such a lovely tribute to Charles and the love you shared (and still share). I very much appreciate that you let us know that sometimes you have bad moments....I can tell you are picking up the pieces and "getting on with planting the paperwhites" even through your grief, but it is good to know that you are human. I have been away from blogland but thought of you often.