Tuesday, December 18, 2012

ABC Wednesday for December 19th, 2012

W is the letter of the Week

There is really nothing extraordinary about choosing A Wild and Wonderful Winter Wonderland to picture W, - but that's the way it is here these days!

There was a time when winter was my favourite season, - I skated and skiied a little and I loved the sound of the snow crunching as I walked the trails behind our suburban home.

The Band played at the local skating rink and we crowded the changing room and the central fire that warmed us after an hour of whirling and twirling and yearning to be figure skaters.



Here is the very rink I skated on, with the band stand out in the centre of the ice where the musicians huddled around a pot-bellied stove  on Sundays and Wednesdays and played marches and waltzes  in the crisp wintery air. You notice that the girls are wearing skirts, - it was a time before trousers were accepted as Women's Wear.

Oh dear, now I grumble at having to take the SUV out of the garage on to the snowy streets, and if I should go walking I hear Charles in my mind, - 'Do you have your cane?  Have you got the spiked end on it!!!" Still, the memories of gliding and music and sweet cold air are Wonderful!!

More W's over here at ABC Wednesday with thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt and her be-Witching helpers.

16 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

I was noticing the attire of the young women and thinking that a skirt would be quite awkward if one fell on the ice.
When I was growing up my mother had one pair of heavy winter trousers,worn only if she needed to do something outside in frigid weather.
During my high school years in the the early 60's, skirts were required wear for girls, even in the coldest months. We compensated with heavy knee socks and long coats.

Carver said...

Beautiful shots of the winter wonderland. Very seasonal. I hope you and your family have a great holiday season.Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Barb said...

Charles would be right Hildred. No need for you to "skate" on any ice you encounter this winter! I like the old photo.

Unknown said...

yes, this looks like a winter wonderland to me. i wonder if i could stand the cold.:p

W is for...

Kate said...

The snowfall in the top photo looks very much like Minnesota did a week ago. The WHITE WINTER WONDERLAND has disappeared now though. Kate, ABC Team

Leslie: said...

My sentiments exactly! I used to ice skate like the wind but now after having 2 back surgeries, my greatest fear is slipping on the ice and snow! It's pretty from inside, though.

Leslie
abcw team

uberrhund said...

Oh! That is a lot of snow!
The skating rink looks magical (and chilly too!)to a Southern California girl like me.
I can hear the band playing "March of the wooden toy soldiers" inside my head for some reason as the skaters glide around!
Thanks for the lovely view of Winters past.
Now,be sure you have your cane with the spikey tip and bundle up when you venture outdoors!LOL!

Roger Owen Green said...

I got theses spiky things to put over my boots a couple WINTERS ago, but I haven't worn them yet!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

MaR said...

Oooh, truly wonderful!

w is for..

Wanda..... said...

Loved the photo and your memories of earlier days, Hildred. Hope the winter days ahead are good for you. No snow here yet, but look forward to at least one beautiful snowfall this winter. Last year's winter was too mild! Wishing you warmth and love this season!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The skating must have been fun, but oh my gosh, I am imagining how cold your legs must have been back then (I'm such a weather wimp).

Charles is still giving you good advice. Be careful out there!

Willo said...

Your winter picture is perfect. I am having that 'grass is greener' feeling...or the "snow is whiter" on the other side of the fence.

photowannabe said...

Terrific walk down memory lane.
We don't get snow where we live but about 2 hours up the mountain there is plenty.
I agree about the sound of snow crunching under foot. Its a wonderful sound.

VioletSky said...

Wearing a skirt would make you want to keep skating, if only to keep the blood pumping and yourself warm!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Ordinary Words....Lovely, just lovely. I asked for snow shoes for Christmas and I expect to use them!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Looks wonderful! So pretty.