Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday Morning Musings

Monday, October 15th, 2012

I look at the week spread out before me in my daily diary and oh joy! no meetings pencilled in, no medical appointments....

I start the day off by stripping the laundry from the bed and giving the fridge a quick wipe-down and re-arrangement, so that when I open it all will look pristine and organized.  Amazing what that does for one's spirits.

The dark morning clouds roll away to reveal soft blue skies and the occasional sun-lit cloud skimming across the top of the hills.

Last week was so full of meetings and turmoil I barely had time to visit blogland, let alone put any thoughts into a post.  I shall start off today as I mean to go on all week!

Such a lovely day for raking the leaves off the lawn, - a task I accomplished last week, as well, but alas, an autumn breeze came along and scattered a fresh bed of dry leaves around the foot of the tree-that-we-haven't-identified yet.  Yesterday I noticed that the tree in the neighbour's yard that last year was so spectacular is just now beginning to show some promise of colour.

It calls to mind a comment by Allen Lacy in The Gardener's Eye

"Gardeners, like everyone else, live second by second and minute by minute.  What we see at one particular moment is then and there before us.  But there is a second way of seeing.  Seeing with the eye of memory, not the eye of our anatomy, calls up dlays and seasons past and years gone by."

And so I remember past Octobers, when all things worked together for such a glorious array of rich and colourful funeral clothes in trees and hills and ditches and gardens and skies.









And it does seem that the older we get the more years of wonderful memories we have to draw upon!


2 comments:

Barb said...

Your memories are so colorful Hildred. I knew they would be. Enjoy your week - hope the weather cooperates.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are so right about the memories -- that's definitely a compensation of growing old(er).... but we are still building up new memories as well, aren't we!

Your Fall memories are beautifully colorful!