Tuesday, October 30, 2012

ABC Wednesday

The Letter is P

For Pippi Longstocking

 
 
 
Here is Pippi
 
- an 'unconventional, assertive' fictional character from books
by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren.
 
Pippi has superhuman strength.
She frequently mocks and dupes adults
and reserves her worst behavior for the most
pompous and condescending.
 
Pippi does not want to grow up,
just like that other PP - |Peter Pan
 
She is the daughter of a Buccaneer Captain
and has many adventurous stories to tell
concerning him
 
She has four best friends.
Her horse and her monkey,
and the neighbour's children, Tommy and Anika.
 
Pippi's full name is
Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking
 
Pippi saw the light of day when she was so named
by Astrid Lindgren's daughter, Karin,
who requested a get well story from her mother
one day when she was home sick from school.
 
You may read more about Pippi and her world in a small Swedish village
by visiting Wikipedia, from whence
came all that I have told you so far.
 
This is a bit of a short cut but I only have hours home from the hospital
where Charles is recovering from his hip surgery last Friday!!!
 
For more great P's visit here at ABC Wednesday.
Many thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt and her Peppy Helpers.

11 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

A living character!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Morning's Minion said...

I somehow missed reading 'Pippi' as a child. a;though the title is familiar.
I hope your Charles is on the mend.

Reader Wil said...

My children loved the Pippi series on TV. We also bought the book for them and read these stories before they went to bed.
Is your husband ill, Hildred? I wish him a speedy recovery!
Thanks for posting and visiting!
Wil, ABC Team.

Reader Wil said...

Sorry, Hildred ! Now I read that Charles broke his hip. How awful! Hopefully he can get home before long. My thoughts are with you.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Pippi Longstocking is such a lovely name. I don't think I could bother with the long version!

Mara said...

Get well soon Charles!

I remember Pippi very well, we saw the show so often. She was a great character!

Leslie: said...

A great character and a fitting one for Halloween, too! Hope Charles gets better soon.

Leslie
abcw team

Wanda said...

Sorry to hear of Charles problems with his leg. Hoping for a good recovery.

I think Pippi is so cute, and those braides...how DO you hold them up!!! Wire??

photowannabe said...

Love the "real" Pippi and her stories.
I really love her full name. I think I have to go back and read the stories again.
So sorry about your Hubby. Prayers for a quick recovery.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love that series. Still sending good thoughts to both of you.

ChrisJ said...

Trust that Charles is making a good recovery. I never knew anything about Pippi until I was well grown up.