Friday, January 06, 2012

January 6th, 2012

The Day of Epiphany


O sages standing in God's holy fire
As in the gold mosaic of a wall,
Come from the holy fire, perne in a gyre,
And be the singing-masters of my soul.

                                                                         W.B. Yeats

Twelfth Night and I have now laid the Christmas tree and all its precious
ornaments to rest, - wrapped in tissue, and passing through my hands together with the memories of where each angel, each Santa, each glistening bird came from.

I started early with Christmas decorations, nostalgic for Christmases past
as we made this new home our own.

No great Twelfth Night Party here tonight, but somehow I have 
this wonderful feeling of Epiphany - Epiphany as light and manifestation
and something akin to the feeling that September brings.

The summer is over, as is the great festival of Christmas. and there is a
feeling of energy and enthusiasm and plans.

The house has a aura of simplicity,  - the Christmas table has been shortened, the white linens put away, along with the silver and the company dishes.

I have a little list of things to do.  I know from experience that all of them
will not get done, but that's o.k., - I will prioritize them according to 
pleasure and expediency and the light that each one
of them will bring into our lives.

I have left the stained glass angel and the two snowflakes
hanging in the window,  and the amaryllis,  along with the white hellebores
I couldn't resist.  They will cheer the path to spring and daffodils.










2 comments:

Penny said...

Lovely.

Willo said...

It is nice to know that someone else feels the same way I do about Epiphany. I still call my great grand daughter, born on the 6th, my Epiphany Baby. She is four going on five and I will have to stop that. Alas, I suspect that she will never hear about nor will her parents speak of Epiphany.
Neither one of us took out the Christmas decorations this year. Only the outdoor wreaths made it to their places on each side of the garage door. Bryce did bring home two Alberta Spruces about 18 inches tall. I will put them in large planters this spring, maybe I could do it soon, as our weather is more like spring than January.
Your writing always makes me feel happier; it gives me a contentment that eases my own days.
With fondness for the lives you live and the blessing of your writing. Willo