Monday, October 17, 2011

October 17th, 2011

Another gorgeous October day - the sun shone and the sky donned its brightest flax blue gown.  A few wispy clouds embroidered the edges, but on the whole it was blue skies all around.



On my visit to the grocery store and then along to pick up a little Orange Brandy and Scotch for Happy Hour I didn't see one dismal, miserable face.  All smiles, smiling back at me.....

Smiling is infectious, you catch it like the flu.  When someone smiled at me today I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner, and someone saw my grin.  When he smiled I realized I'd passed it on to him.

A little Google poem, and I'm sorry there is no author listed.

Two doors down from us they have started to decorate with witches and pumpkins for a combination Halloween and Birthday party and across the street a few pumpkins line the picket fence.
This sent me on a 'witch' hunt and I found my old hanging witch in a box far back in the bedroom closet.

I have the witches boots and her long black robe; her broom and her peaked hat
which she can hang out on the porch while she comes in to refresh herself.




But alas, Evelyn, across the street, tells me that all Hallow's Eve will bring only a handful of elves and trolls and wee witches to call Trick or Treat on this street.  You have to live up in the area by the school, where three or four hundred children will fly along one side of the road, and then down the other -filling their goodie bags and returning to the school for hot chocolate and Halloween cookies.

At one time all the grandchildren came back to the house where Grandma and Grandpa had morphed into a witch and a wizard, and had cocoa and cookies, but those days are just a lovely memory now.

Ah well, - it was still a gorgeous day, and the sunshine gilded the golden trees along the street.


I got out the long lens and took a picture of the Aspens in the Cawston Basin,  cropped most of the telephone wires out of the picture and remembered the memorable morning Charles and I spent driving the old logging road to reach this golden wonderland, a couple of years ago.


I think it might rain tomorrow, but then again we might have one more sweet Indian Summer day

3 comments:

Barb said...

What wonderful light and colors in your landscape, Hildred. I would love to see you and Charles as Witch and Wizard! Indeed, smiles are contagious - I've caught a few.

Wanda..... said...

I've already been smiling this morning, while driving my grandsons to school. We 'never' had trick or treaters back here in the woods, except for the grandchildren. I've morphed into a witch many a Halloween, finally just created a figure to display with the costume! Need to go set it up!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful fall pictures -- and I caught your smile!

Trick-or-treat is a precious memory for us too!