Wednesday, September 07, 2011

ABC Wednesday

H is the letter for this sunny week

H is for Vilhelm Hammershoi.


Of an exhibition of this celebrated Danish painter's work
entitled, " The Poetry of Silence"
it is said
"Hammershoi\s most compelling works are his quiet, haunting interiors, their emptiness disturbed only occasionally by the presence of a solitary, graceful figure, often the artist's wife.
Painted within a small tonal range of implied greys, these sparsely-furnished rooms exude an almost hypnotic quietude and sense of melancholic introspection.
In addition to the interiors, the exhibition also includes Hammershoi's arresting portraits, landscapes and his evocative city views, notably the deserted streets of London on a misty winter morning.  The magical quietness of Hammershoi's work can be seen in the context of international Symbolist movements of the turn of the last century but the containment and originality of his art makes it unique."





Besides the quiet greys and blues Hammershoi occasionally used subdued yellows in his paintings.






Follow the open doors into the heart of Hammershoi's magical paintings, and click here for more wonderful interpretations of the letter H, with thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt and her helpers.


12 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I esp love the window shot.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

jabblog said...

Beautiful paintings - very spare and clean.

Kay L. Davies said...

I like the portrait of the girl best, but I like all the rest of them equally.
Wonderful paintings. I'd love to live in those interiors.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Berowne said...

Happy to be introduced to a remarkable artist...

Linda said...

I had never seen any of these paintings. Thank you for sharing. I love the palette-- beautiful, subtle yet strong colors.

Linda

ABC Wednesday Team
Http:// word -painting.blogspot.com

Carver said...

I like all of these very much. Good choice for H.

ChrisJ said...

Fascinating paintings. I'd love to see them close up. A classic case of 'less is more'. Thank you for introducing us to this artist.

The Poet said...

I always learn something new whenever I visit ABC Wednesday.
The paintings are wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Humility Of A Flower

The Weaver of Grass said...

Such restful pictures Hildres - I could live with any of those on my wall.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Wonderful and unusual - great choice for H. A x

Ms. Becky said...

Hi Hildred,
awhile back you left a comment on my blog expressing interest in the 10 on 10 photo meme. well tomorrow is September 10th! I forgot about it until this morning. just take a photo an hour for 10 consecutive hours and then head over to A Bit of Sunshine, Rebekah's blog, to link up on the 11th. hope to see you there!

here's a link to her blog

http://rebekahgough.blogspot.com/p/ten-on-ten-photo-project.html

have a great day Hildred.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You always come up with the most unique take on this alphabet meme -- I loved learning about this painter, who is new to me. Thank you for the art appreciation class, so beautifully illustrated