Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday, June 27th, 2011

Jess brought boxes today!   Moving boxes, - once more into the breach, dear friends, as we garner visions of the simple life and rid outselves of all the extraneous stuff to which we give storage room.

I have lovely visions of simple, spare rooms, - cupboards with nicely spaced contents, - perhaps even ribbons around the towels in the linen closet if I get really inspired by Martha Stewart, although that might be a little counterproductive if we are striving to live the simple life.



We are moving back to town.  Away, alas from our wonderful view of the valley, but closer to facilities, available for friends to drop in as they pass,  a pretty little garden with just a soupcon of all the plants that live in our hillside jungle, and for each thing we give up there is something splendid to take its place.

So I am being very ruthless, - except for treasures and things of historical or genealogical interest, if you are just taking up storage space out you go to find a new home.....  I am thinking of setting up a long table with things that have been precious to me and inviting children and grandchildren and even great grands to come and take their pick.  I know the really little ones are fascinated with music boxes or merry-go-rounds.

Same with books, - but oh, it is harder with books.  How does one pass on an old friend!  Will my bookcase be barren without Penmarric or Louis Bromfield's Malibar Farm?  Well, perhaps I can be a little more discriminate when it comes to books.

I opened two suitcases in the walk in closet today.  They came with us on our last move and have lain dormant since then, - one contained old, old, ancient music, and the other was full of cards we had received for anniversaries, birthdays, Mothers' day and Fathers' day and Christmas!!!!  You can imagine, - I knew I had a box of these cards, but the suitcase was a surprise!

We will keep the letters that Charles and I wrote back and forth during the war, for sentimental reasons.  And pictures.  But gone are the extra dinner plates and gravy boats and the remnants of a half a dozen sets of cutlery and the white gloves from bygone days!   And at least some of the pretty china tea cups.

And I haven't mentioned yet the travel trailer that is full of weaving supplies  - cottons and silks and linens and wool and heddles and shuttles and ball winders and umbrella swifts, books and magazines and looms and spinning wheels and spindles.   We gather so much in a lifetime....sometimes Charles and I remark on the time when there was just us, his uniforms, my trousseau clothes, some wedding presents and a great deal of love and determination.

Wish me luck as I dive into this desperate task, so that I don't linger too long in memories.

And while you're at it, remember Charles in your prayers, - you ought to see the accumulation of tool treasures in the garage and workshop!!!!!! 

 I am thankful for family that will help us for the next few weeks...  You hear me family????  Come for a keepsake and a hug.....

7 comments:

Penny said...

You sound very brave, I know it must come to all of us, I hope special things find special homes and are much loved.
Not looking forward to when it is our time.

VioletSky said...

Good Luck with the ruthlessness!
I, too, dream of a simple life of cupboards with nicely spaced contents...then I go into another antique shop...

Wanda..... said...

Your post was very emotionally true for me. Here we are, at this point in our lives, in a larger than needed house, packed full of personal treasures of both our parents and our own. It's such a contrast to my oldest granddaughter's soon to be life. She is to be married Saturday, moving far away to Washington and starting her own collection of precious treasures!

Good luck with being ruthless on your strive for a simpler life, Hildred.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Hildred -- that is exciting and happy and sad all at the same time and I know because we've been through it. We gave much to the kids and grands, much as you described. Books are hard. The part about Charles' "stuff" made me smile -- back then, I could have written that sentence exactly, just substituting Bill's name for Charles.

Simplifying life is not easy and ruthlessness is a good trait to have during the process. So is bravery...and I know there will be some tears, even though you are happy about your decision (as I was, but I still cried some)......

Barb said...

Hello HIldred, I'm catching up with your posts and was surprised to hear of your upcoming move. I love your Valley but will look forward to photos and news of your new space, too. I've been thinking of clearing out some of our own saved treasures in the next few months. Like you, books will be hardest. Also, I have many, many personal journals which I want to shred (if I can get the courage to do so!). By the way - your Peony Header is a feast for the eyes!

Dimple said...

Hi Hildred,
I am behind the times! I read a mention of your plans in today's post, and had to back track to get the story.
Of the letters: Yes, I agree, keep them! I have a shoe box full of letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother in 1915 & 1916, while they were courting, and they are a treasure! I have been transcribing them onto my Family Story blog. I'm sure down the line your grands and great-grands will treasure your letters, as well!

I am sure you will enjoy your new home as much as you have the one you are leaving!

Morning's Minion said...

I have jusst "met" you through Bovey Belle's blog, Codlins and Cream 2---will be back to visit.
Can sympathize with the chaos and the decisions re possessions that a move involves. I'm still sorting after what I hope is our "final" move over a year ago.