Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday, February 18th, 2011

A cold wind, - some blue sky to the north with clouds heaped up like dumplings, but the wind is miserable, - it whines as it scurries down the street in town, and I hurry with my shopping and errands.  I was bewitched by the  cornflower blue of the clear sky and came out without a scarf.  Before I was finished in town a large black cloud had appeared and the wind was wild and blowing granular bits of snow in erratic patterns.

We came home to a warm lunch and poignant thoughts of a mild day yesterday that had sent me out into the garden, filling bird feeders and moving straw back and forth, peering to see how the foxgloves had survived the winter and if the hellebores were going to make it for Lent.  Ah well, I see these alternating winter/spring days are prevalent in blogland, even in those parts where the snowdrops are blooming.

I have to be content with looking at pictures of the garden in bygone days.


Apricots in the Lost Garden


The promise of all this lovely jungley growth where today 
there are only dried, bleak remnants of last year's
fall splendour.



That pretty annual vine that I bought at a Garden Club sale and that grew 
and bloomed so beautifully,  Although I buy the seeds each year and the plants grow I
have never had a bloom on it like this again.  But
that won't deter me from trying again this year.



Remember how the black-eyes Susan carpeted the hills in early spring


and the bloom on the apple trees wafted their fragrance  along the lane
where Caspar and I went walking




the sweetness of the Violets



the tender new growth along the banks of the creek



and the lush beauty of the white peony!!!!

I could show you the Iris and the Poppy and the Roses and the passengers
alighting from the Chinese Lantern Underground Railway,
but it is bedtime, so I will tuck in with my dreams
and try to be patient.......

Life is eternal and love is immortal;
And death is only a horizon,
And a horizon is
nothing save the limit of our sight. - Rossiter W. Raymond

6 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Your thoughts and actions are similar to mine...viewing summer photos here too. I replaced the winter scene on my computer's desktop with a summer view of my back yard.

Hildred said...

Me too, Wanda. When I was young I loved winter and skating and frosty days, but now I yearn for spring and summertime - I have daisies and yellow trumpet vine and green, green grass on my desktop.

Barb said...

I see you're dreaming of warmer weather and blooming things, Hildred. I'll be waiting for your forsythia to bloom!

Hildred said...

If the wind stops blowing today Barb I am going to cut off some more forsythia sticks to bring into the house and they will bloom and soothe my soul while I wait for Sprimg!

Dimple said...

Lovely reminders of what was that inspire me with what will be again. I'm glad of the promise that as long as the earth remains, winter and summer, seedtime and harvest will never fail.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Such beautiful flowers Hildred! Last week Cyndi (our dtr) was telling me about violets and early spring flowers peeking out in her Oregon gardens -- made me homesick for Spring! Today it is freezing there -- so today I miss her but not the weather. (Seriously I do miss seeing the Pacific Northwest Spring flowers; the downside to no Winter is no early Spring.)