Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday, January 16th

A dampish morning.  We come from church in pelting rain and warm up some soup for lunch.

What is there for it but to read a bit, nap a bit and an hour or two passes.

When I stir the clouds still hang low in the valley and the hills are swathed in mist,


but the garden lies in an intense light, - golden straw, russet branches, and the curled leaves on the willow dangling like gilded ornaments.  Autumn all over again......


I stand at the window with the camera, capturing the small birds as they feed, and a rat-a-tat  woodpecker making his way up the gravel driveway.



Suddenly a dove!  A flurry of wings as she swoops in front of me, makes a circle and disappears over the roof of the house.

A dove in January?  Well, perhaps a pigeon from a nearby loft, but nevertheless, a lovely sight, and I was lucky enough to catch her on the turn.


Today's River Stone #16

January flashes her garnets in the midst of gloom.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Glorious photos of your misty landscape, Hildred. And a gift from January, too!

Dimple said...

Hi Hildred,
I was swept into the River of Stones and read the last several posts. I like your poems very much!

I read a book about Van Gogh long ago, thanks for the refresher. I don't remember seeing these works of his which you have posted, except the self-portrait. His life was indeed tragic.

We have had several days of thawing, and much of the snow is gone, but you have more open ground than we do!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Gorgeous flashes of January garnets (of many varieties). Thank you for sharing.

It is raining here in Florida today reminding me of home (our other one).... what's funny is that nobody goes outdoors in it here. We native Pacific Northwesterners are heartier (by necessity!)

jijie said...

I'm your newest follower from ABC-WED, hope you will follow me back here@ Step Up
Take Care