Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ABC Wednesday

The letter R

R is for ROSE

'Tis the last rose of summer left blooming alone
All her lovely companions are faded and gone
No flower of her kindred, no rosebus is nigh
To reflect back her blushes and give sigh for sigh.

I'll not leave thee, thou lone one, to pine on the stem
Since the lovely are sleeping, go sleep thou with them
Thus kindly I scatter thy leaves o'er the bed
Where thy mates of the garden lie scentless and dead.

So soon may I follow when friendships decay
And from love's shining circle the gems drop away
When true hearts lie withered and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
This bleak world alone.

Poignant words by the Irish poet, Thomas Moore in 1805.
The melody composed by George Alexander Osborne from Limerick City

Here is the last rose of summer in our garden, before the first snowfall


and a sweet rendition of the song 



For more interpretations of the letter R visit here at ABC Wednesday,
 with thanks to Mrs. Nesbit, her helpers and all participants.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Hildred, I was thinking this morning that you haven't posted in awhile and here you are! Your last pink rose was gorgeous. Hope you and Charles are snug and cozy there in your valley. It's snowing hard here in Breckenridge.

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful post for the R Day, Hildred! Loved the video, too! Hope your week is going well and that you're staying warm and dry!

Sylvia

Cezar and Léia said...

THis VIDEO is wonderful!
Your post for this letter R is REALLY beautiful!
I think every woman has a ROSE inside the heart!
REGARDS,
Léia

Reader Wil said...

Ah! The Dutch violonplayer André Rieu! He was touring the world and went also to Australia. I hope that he has recovered now from his illness, for his doctor didn't allow him to play for a while .
Thank you for this beautiful post, for the poem, the rose and the video!

Wanda..... said...

Lovely rose and video, Hildred.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Somehow the last rose is always the best rose, isn't it, Hildred? I have a Gertrude Jekyll rose still out and she smells perfect.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

How lovely - the words of course and the music. Played by Andre Rieu too! Great R choices. A

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

How beautiful! I think I've even used the words "the Last Rose of Summer" on a post, but I kind of forgot the song/poem (although my grandmother actually had it in her piano repertoire. (We're talking bout 60 + years ago, but who's counting ;>)

jabblog said...

Beautiful - I loved the video clip.

Steffi said...

Very beautiful video.I love it!

Unknown said...

an exquisite rose. the poem is kind of sad. have a wonderful weekend!

thanks for visiting my SWF post.