Monday, October 04, 2010

October 4th, 2010

But those who came before us will teach you. They will teach you from the wisdom of former generations." Job 8:10 

Up before Charles this morning, - quite early, and in the quietness of the morning tending to my knitting as I finished off the toes of the sixteenth sock!

While doing so I held quiet communion with my mother on this, the 53rd anniversary of her death.

I remembered her teaching me to crochet and to tat, but mainly it was knitting we did together; her with her needles flying, me much slower and laborious.  During the hard, hard years of the depression she added to the household budget by doing exquisite custom knitting for friends and friends of friends.  Beautiful dresses and skirt and sweater ensembles.  

In later years, - the years she spent in a wheelchair, she turned her talents to petit point.  Some of her pictures were small and delicate, - others of incredible size to me, who found it inspiring how she spent those years of pain and immobility, patiently creating beauty and always with grace and courage.  She taught me to knit, but most endearingly she taught me to live by her beautiful example.


In Memorium
Dorothy Emily Grace

3 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hildred -- a lovely post and tribute. And just wanted to say I understand that no number of years gone by will erase our memories.

Wanda..... said...

I know how you must treasure the items your mother made.

joco said...

Lovely thoughts. Do you find sadness diminishes? For me it will soon be a sixth 'anniversary', and I keep on hearing her come out with phrases that make me laugh. But sadness hasn't abated. She was a knitter too: entire dresses, skirts and tops, anything. All by hand in minute stitches. I keep those as mementoes too, even though they don't fit me anymore :-)