Friday, June 24, 2016

The Twelve Bar Blues

Friday, the 24th of June, 2016
as I pick up the Ukulele at the breakfast table
and practice the 12 Bar Blues......

Well, concerning the Ukulele, this is what I might aspire to if I were twenty years younger.....


....but this is what I aspire to now!!!



........and in reality, - here is where I am in my quest to entertain myself with the ukulele!!!


you can stop listening after the illustration.....

I chose this particular video to learn finger picking because the young man who teaches is so articulate and defines his words with the kind of clarity
an ancient pupil requires!

There are oodles of videos 
and all sorts of teachers
but many of them have had no lessons in diction
and I find their mumbles and slurry instructions
beyond my ken, alas, alas.....
sweet as they are!

Bruce looks at me quizzically when I pick up the Uke
tapping my foot while I try to keep the rhythm going as I slide 
awkwardly from chord to chord.

Callie just ignores this strange behavior.....

When I come to the end of the 12 bar blues I add the little connecting bit
with a flourish, - I have it down pat and it sounds quite jaunty, 

It adds a little zest to life....



3 comments:

Penny said...

Well done, I admire your enjoyment of life and determination to get it right. I think I am a musical slug!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am sending this to my friend W, who plays in a ukulele band - glad you are enjoying the experience.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I hope you never lose the zest for living which shines in everything you show us. i know it's important to keep learning and trying new things; you are such a great example. (Though it would take much more than clear diction to help me learn to play the ukulele -- or do anything musically). But I can extrapolate your example to something I have a tiny chance at learning!