Monday, April 25, 2022

April 25th, 2022 This is a special day for me - an anniversary. Seventy-nine years ago that I met my husband, - my beloved. It was an Easter Sunday, and after attending to my Sunday School class, my friend Norma and I had gathered together frying pans and pork chops and niblets to enhance a hike by the North Saskachewan river. Ah, little did I know that my whole life would be enhanced by the lovely airman we met that day! At the time Charles had been posted to the ITS training station, located on the University grounds. He had decided this Easter Sunday that he would stroll along the banks of the river, little knowing that a lifetime of commitment awaited him..... What a lovely day!!!! I was entranced, and looked forward to the date we made to 'go to the movies' the following Friday..... In a few weeks he moved on with his training as an RCAF pilot, being stationed in southern Alberta, - but it wasn't far enough away that he wasn't able to spend leaves in Edmonton and correspond on a daily basis. My letters to him bore the initials MAMRLH - which translated meant 'my airman's mail, rush like hell'. Shortly after Christmas that year he was posted overseas for training on heavy bombers and I have a box of blue airmails that bring back wonderful memories of a newly found and permanent love....we were married eleven days after he landed back in Canada in May of 1945. It is almost ten years since death parted us from this earthly life together. but I look around and find his pictures surrounding my desk in four different places, - his lovely, quirky smile. It fills my heart.....

4 comments:

Debby said...

What a lovely, lovely post. Thinking of you on this day.

Ellen D. said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful love story! How lucky you both were.

Country Cottage said...

What a beautiful post - thank you. x

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thank you for sharing. It's good to remember that "Filling the heart" may start when we least expect it.