Saturday, July 18, 2020

This and that

Saturday, July 18th, 2020 Oh, it's been a hot, hot day!!! Out the back, early in the morning, it was cool and morning coffee was a pleasure. I took some shriveled up lettuce leaves out of the two big pots I had planted with daisies and various kinds of lettuce greenery, and I went to inspect the bodies of the red mites and white aphids that I had murdered yesterday. I found I wasn't too good at that profession, - a few mites and aphids lying dead, - a few more looking sickly, but the majority were snipping away at the roses and the stems of the yellow daisies. My youngest son and I had buried Callie at the bottom of the garden, and planted a lovely white rose above her (it has turned out to be a climber, so should make a dear little spot of remembrance. However, those sweet buds needed another insecticidal spraying, so I did that; picked a few raspberries to have for breakfast, and Bruce and I sat for a while to watch the birds and the bees and the butterflies while we breathed in the sweet, cool morning air. In these pandemic days there was a service of sorts for a friend from early days who had died a few months ago, and not being able to attend, but wanting to send a remembrance (and not having any sympathy cards in the house - drat it!) I spent the rest of the morning struggling with printable cards, the printer that didn't want to cooperate, and a search for the right size envelope wherein to put said card!!! By this time my six o'clock breakfast had kept me satisfied for long enough, and it was time to renew my energies with lunch......lunchtime already, and no weaving done!! However, I made up for that in the early afternoon. Washed the warp that the same number four son who helped me bury Callie had just taken off the Glimakra. and admired the free style weaving he had accompished. That loom is empty now, and I am excited about preparing the mohair warp for a lovely warm, fuzzy blankie!! And I did a few inches on the lacey tea towels I am making... I began to realize it was fairly warm in the house, and after checking the thermostat I went out to peer at the air conditioner which was buzzing away but not accomplishing much except making ice around its' hoses. I have a little note stuck to the wall, next to the therostat and it tells me what to do if that condition should arise (as it has before) so I did what I was instructed (I think the instructions on the reminder came from Charles so I was careful to follow directions) I do miss him so.... The afternoon didn't get any cooler, - the sun shone down upon us and the air was still, - not a leaf moving or even the slightest breeze blowing. I had a quick supper - peeked out the door to see if the temperature still hovered around the lower thirties Centigrade. It did, so here I am with a fan blowing at my back. I have had my nightly telephone call from D - dear daughter - and I am readyfor whatever the evening brings. Sometimes in the day time evening tasks come to haunt me and I resolve to start sorting and marking snapshots, - especially those of people who will not be familiar to the younger generation, and who I especially want to be remembered..... A little cello music will make a nice background, - Hauser, probably....his music is so very beautiful! I think there is not much chance that tomorrow will be cooler, but it is July and it's fine to embrace the summer days!!

3 comments:

Hildred said...

I am finding this Blogger extremely difficult. Recalcitrant I might say. It doesn't seem to publish your post in the form in which the draft is written!! Why is that? I apologize that there are no paragraphs, - there was in my draft - sigh!

Ellen D. said...

Not a good time for the AC to be acting up! Hope it is working better. I know what you mean about photos. I worry about who will want them once my siblings and I are gone. I don't know if my children would know most of their old relatives and if they even care to know about them. I also worry about all of the digital photos that are on CDs and thumb drives and old hard drives - will I be able to hand those down some how? What a big project! Photos on my phone - I think those will just be lost. Not like the scrapbooks of old...
Stay cool! and stay safe!

Barb said...

I've just been thinking about old photos, too. One of my sons is interested in old things, so perhaps he'd want them. I did sort through them several years ago, but I didn't mark the ones I kept with any information. I got all of Bob's grandmother's old photos, so I have many of people I don't know. It sounds uncomfortably hot there. Here it is raining and sometimes hailing. It's cool - I wore a jacket to hike this morning (before the rain).