Friday, September 21, 2012

Welcome to Autumn

Friday, September 21st.



A faint blush in the Eastern sky where autumn makes her first hesitant steps through the  hills and vales of the Lower Similkameen. 
 
Along the creekside waterways the poplar and the alder leaves are golden in the sunshine, where summer still lays claim to the afternoon, tossing her head at the calendar; warming the valley to shirt sleeve and shorts weather and leaving to autumn the alchemy of frosty nights.



 
In the garden once more the Abraham Darby delights
with its tightly packed petals, its perfume still as perfect now,
in its third flush as it was in June, newly blossoming.
 
 
A few feet away a passenger from the Chinese Underground Railway
alights at the new Depot, securely established as a Branch
from the hillside garden!
 
 
 
Yesterday afternoon I visited one of the many fruit stands
that line the highway west of Keremeos
looking for farm fresh eggs.
 
The market was bustling with travelers
and crammed with colourful bins of apples, pumpkins, squash
and nectarines side by each with all the wonderful fall vegetables.
 
Sid brought us two boxes of apples and I will set a large pan full of MacIntosh to simmer
for apple sauce and enjoy the marvelous combination of
apples cooking and cinnamon.
 
'By all these lovely tokens
September days are here
with summer's best of weather
and Autumn's best of cheer'.

5 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I accept your welcome to the days of autumn. Looking out from my window this morning it seems I have no choice in the matter; autumn colours are slowly making an appearance.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah yes, Hildred, it is the Autumn Equinox today and here it is a glorious Autumn day, after a night when there was a sharp frost. I think apple sauce and cinnamon is a smell of Autumn.
Nectarines are one of my favourites and I buy them as long as the season lasts, but they are just beginning to disappear from our shops, sadly.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh lovely ode to a lovely season. I can smell those apples simmering. And nectarines? Love them and I'm somehow surprised to know they grow there -- I wonder why they don't here? (We buy peaches, plums, pears, apples of course all locally...but I've never seen a locally grown nectarine.)

Barb said...

Well, I wouldn't mind a vase of those Chinese Lanterns on my table! Sounds like fall has arrived in the valley.

Morning's Minion said...

The gold of aspens in autumn is one of the things I miss from our years in Wyoming. It was so nearly impossilbe to grow flowers--or anything else there unless one had steady access to irrigation.
Apples cooked in any way are such a lovely taste of autumn.