Thursday, October 14, 2010



We are soaking up

 each glorious moment of these hazy Autumn days!!!

The garden is packed with fall flowers;  late roses, yellow daisies,

a wonderful array of chrysanthemums, purple asters - 

and here is the last Abraham Darby of the summer!



looking as fresh and lovely as the first bud to open in May.

Charles 'blew the lines' today,

in preparation for the irrigation water being turned off tomorrow.

As he coiled up all the hoses I had a faint feeling of regret

and it was brought home to me that these wonderful warm

Autumn days are a plus, - a dividend, and a wonderful blessing.

I picked a few boxes of Golden Delicious Apples



and on the first day that doesn't draw us outside

we will core and slice them into foil lined pie plates, 

pop them into the freezer and anticipate a winter's worth of 

delicious apple pies.

Tomorrow's forecast is for blue skies and sunshine, - and

the next day too, of course.

It will be Katie and Will's Wedding Day!

Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.   Plautus

6 comments:

Barb said...

Is it a grandchild who will marry? Much Happiness to them! Your gardens are still so beautiful, Hildred. There was snow in Breckenridge 2 days last week. I'm in Denver now awaiting my grandchildren who will stay for 3 days. It looks as though you'll have plenty of fixings for pies!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Is the wedding person your grandchild?

I love your description of autum days -- and we are so glad we got to see some of that lovely season this year in New England and will see more when we fly "home" to Oregon for a couple of months next week.

But I probably won't freeze any apples. I'll have to taste your pies in my imagination.

Hildred said...

Hi Barb and Sallie - yes Katie is our granddaughter, a sweet and very vibrant young woman, and Will is a dear. I will post pictures....
Barb, have a lovely time with your grandchildren, - and Sallie, so nice to know you are going to be close by on the West Coast.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

We are also having some beautiful autumn days and know that it won't be too long before the real winter sets in. Much happiness to the bridal couple - a lovely time of year to marry. A x

Dimple said...

Autumn has always been my favorite season. I love the colors and the sense that life is settling down for sleep.
Congratulations to your grandchild on her wedding, and prayers for a long, happy, and fruitful marriage!

Wanda..... said...

The rose has a lovely color, Hildred, I even see a blush of pink on some of the apples. Apple pies all winter would make my grandson Andrew extremely happy!

Happy Wedding and Life to the couple!