Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ABC Wednesday

M is the Magnificent Letter for this week.

M is for Magnolia







He told of the Magnolia, spread
High as a cloud, high over head! 
 Wordsworth: Ruth


Sauntered down the lane to enjoy these marvelous blooms
in the garden at the big house, last April.

We sat on the bench under the big gnarled tree
and discussed the ways of the world and
the beautiful froth of cherry blossoms along the way
and the delicate beauty of the Magnolia.

From Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings....
The Magnolia Tree

"I do not know the irreducible minimum of happiness for any other spirit other than mine own.
It is impossible to be certain even of mine.
Yet I believe that I know my tangible desideratum.
It is a tree-top against a patch of sky.
If I should be crippled or long ill, or should have the quite conceivable misfortune to be clapped in jail
I could survive, I think, given this one token of the physical world."

For more Ms do Move on over to ABC Wednesday and see what
Mrs. Nesbitt and her mighty helpers have to offer.  Here.


22 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Up here in the north of England it is difficult to grow magnolia as they so often get spoiled by late frosts - but they are such a lovely blossom.

Sylvia K said...

Lovely post for the M Day! I love magnolias and they do grow profusely here in the northwest! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

Vinay Leo R. said...

wonderful magnolias :) beautiful photography! :)

My M Post Is Here:
Morning Mist

Rune Eide said...

I enjoyed the gracefulness of these flowers, especially the third one.

Reader Wil said...

Magnolia is very poular in my country too. We also call it Tuliptree( Tulpen boom)
Your photos are magnificent!

photowannabe said...

Lovely and delicate photos of the magnolias. I loe how you captured them.

Dimple said...

Growing up in California, I knew the magnolia as a tree with large, deep green, leathery leaves and huge white blossoms. It was not until I read the comments to this post that I learned that what you picture here so beautifully, which I learned to call a tulip tree, is also a magnolia.
Thanks for coming by!

EG CameraGirl said...

Magnolias are gorgeous when they bloom!

Tumblewords: said...

Spectacular. Magnolia blossoms are incredibly beautiful. I lost my small tree to a killer frost - still miss the wonderful fragrance and the beauty of the blossoms.

Barb said...

A dreamy, delicate bloom, Hildred. I like your photos.

Berowne said...

Beautiful "M" Day post.

Carver said...

Magnolia is a great choice for the letter M. Beautiful blossoms and I like the exert from the book.

Roger Owen Green said...

lovely poem, to match the flowers
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gigi Ann said...

Lovely Magnolia blossoms. So beautiful.

Leslie: said...

I love magnolias and wish I had one, but not enough room in the garden. Any time I go for a walk and see one, I stand and admire it a long time before moving on. :D

Kay L. Davies said...

"Do sweet magnolias blossom
'Round everybody's door?
Do folks keep eatin' possum
'Til they can't eat no more?
Is it true what they say about Dixie?
Does the sun really shine all the time?"

I like the magnolia part best. Never mind the possum.

Kay, Alberta

Cezar and Léia said...

It's really a magnificent flower!You have lovely blogs, very interesting posts, congratulations!
Léia

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful flowers.

Thanks for being part of ABC Wed.

Barb - ABC team member

Kim, USA said...

Love Magnolia it's always pretty and colorful!
ABC Wednesday

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Beautiful magnolia - we had a wonderfully mature tree in our last garden. Glorious flowers. A x

srp said...

Magnolia is the state flower of Mississippi, but these that we always called tulip magnolias bloomed a month earlier than the traditional one. Lovely photos.

Jay said...

You did a great job of photographing the magnolia blossoms. The second is my favourite and reminds me of a Georgia O'Keefe painting.