Monday, September 19, 2016

K is for Kingfisher

ABC Wednesday
September 21st, 2016

The letter is K for Kingfisher


The Kingfisher

The kingfisher rises out of the black wave
like a blue flower.  In his beak
he carries a silver leaf.  I think this is
the prettiest world - so long as you don't mind
a little dying.  How could there be a day in your
whole life
that doesn't have its splash of happiness?
There are more fish than there are leaves
on a thousand trees, and anyway, the kingfisher
wasn't born to think about it, or anything else.
When the wave snaps shut over his blue head, the
water
remains water - hunger is the only story
he has ever heard in his life that he could
believe.
I don't say he's right.  Neither
do I say he's wrong.  Religiously he swallows the
silver leaf
with its broken red river, and with a rough and
easy cry
I couldn't rouse out of my thoughtful body
if my life depended on it, he swings back
over the bright sea to do the same thing, to do it
(as I long to do something, anything) perfectly.

Mary Oliver

For more interesting Ks click here to visit
ABC Wednesday
with many thanks to
Roger, Denise, Leslie
and all keen helpers. 

12 comments:

David said...

Wow! ...wonderful photography... we watched it on the big screen and marvelled at the underwater shots. thanks for sharing ... ❤️

MelodyK said...

I love this entry, enjoyed it very much, thank you!!

Have a nice ABC-day / – week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (ABC-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/19k-20-sept/

ellen b. said...

Wonderful choice for the letter K!

Leslie: said...

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful video. Watched it full screen and can't believe how beautiful kingfishers are...I've never seen one live and wish I could. Amazing how they can eat their own body weight in food!

Leslie
abcw team

photowannabe said...

Truly a beautiful video and a lovely bird.

Morning's Minion said...

I had a feeling that was a Mary Oliver poem as I read the lines--and her words conjured the memory of kingfishers who frequented our pond in Wyoming.
I'm enjoying your sunflower header--I didn't grow any this season and missed them. I've most recently planted the 'dwarf' varieties, which are still as tall--or taller--than I am. The top-heavy giants are so nice to harvest and set out for winter birds.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my dear Hildred... I cannot thank you enough for this lovely gift... a new (to me) Mary Oliver poem and I wonder how this can be so... I have often watched and marveled at Kingfishers doing what they do so perfectly. How beautifully she expresses thoughts I can barely articulate.

Roger Owen Green said...

may I be just a little scared?!

ROG, ABCW.

Reader Wil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reader Wil said...

Thank you so much for the lovely video of the kingfisher. This is the most colourful bird we have in our regions.

Joy said...

A beautiful bird and poem.

Barb said...

Isn't Mary Oliver wonderful? Her poetry always paints pictures in my mind. She seems to reach right to the spirit of her subject. PS I'm happy you're seeing golden splashes on the hills and remembering your visit there with Charles.