Friday, July 04, 2014

A Summertime Potpouri of Days


We have settled nicely into summer, here in the Similkameen.

I had thought that I might take a little trip down to Ginty's Pond this morning, to see if the lilies are in bloom
and hopefully to catch sight of the turtles sunning themselves on the big log....

However, an  'emergency' meeting of the Museum Executive was called and so I must pop next door to Doreen's and take minutes - I see through my kitchen window that her trumpet vine is just coming into bloom, - a good opportunity to get close to those gorgeous golden blooms.....

There will be another day for Ginty's Pond, - you will perhaps remember what it looks like early in the day; somnolent and heavy with greenery and shadows, the mallards floating purposefully along the edge and the dragonflies darting hither and yon.  If you are lucky you might get a glimpse of the raccoon family that lives in the shrubs at the far end.






These days mornings find me out in the garden with the first cup of coffee;  all is still and quiet and I sit for a bit, relaxing into the day ahead, listening to the chittering of the early morning gossipers at the bird feeder and delighting in the baby quail, picking at the gravel in the lane.

I have had a lovely spate of company during the last few weeks, - family on early summer trips and some who came to say goodbye to a dear grandmother (whose service I mentioned in a previous post).  And I have the promise of a summer trip to the Chilcotin meadow to visit dear ones there, which I have committed to.  I find that as I grow older committing myself to leaving home, even for a few days, is rather a tenuous affair - it is such a temptation to give in to the comfort of home rather than the lively adventure of travel, - new sights and places I would love to be, and see.  I think I am living in the wrong century - I would like the 'beam me up, Scottie' type of travel, - popping in for a little while and then home to the comfort of my own bed and routine.

I am so pleased with Blogger this morning, - for the past few weeks I have not being able to access my dashboard or create a new post, and have had to rely on Windows Live Writer but today Blogger is being very agreeable and has allowed me full access.  It is the vagaries of this technical way of life that keep me keen as I search for detours around all the detritus that suddenly appears when all seems to be going smoothly.

Well now, time is flying by and I must go and ready myself for this morning's activities - these 'emergency\ meetings always end up with coffee and lovely chats and Doreen has a beautiful garden.

Life is good, - not as good as it once was, but good!

3 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I will remember your words about the vagaries of the computer age keeping your mind keen the very next time I have problems. Which will probably be tomorrow. There seems to be something new to learn or different to do every time I turn on the machine!! Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Really it's a good metaphor for how you meet life head on -- finding the good in it, in spite of everything (things far more important than computer glitches).

Thank you for sharing it all.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I so admire you for that last sentence Hildred - yes indeed, at our age we have to make the best of what we have.
Agree also about leaving home - my spirit is always willing but often my flesh is weak.

Barb said...

I've been thinking of you, Hildred, wondering how your garden grows. I hope the Railroad hasn't become active at your town house. My Bee Balm are up and blooming but also spreading their dastardly underground roots hither and yon. I pull the leaves up by the handful! (Each morning there are new ones...) I remember when you and Charles drove to Ginty's. A visit to your family will be an adventure - I'm a bit of a homebody, too, but always enjoy myself on short visits. Glad you are well.