Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A snowy day in the Similkameen


Well, if it hadn't been for the wind it would have been quite a pleasant day, - a little nippy
but what's that to a Prairie girl.....

However the snow was fine and dry, and the wind whipped it up into
an absolute frenzy,  - white veils of snow were spirited down the road like ethereal gypsy dancers,
their feet barely touching the ground, and then caught up in the
wind's passionate embrace and flung skyward.

That all sounds quite romantic, and I suppose it was if you were cosy by the fire, but out in the 
garden the small birds, their feathers fluffed, were grateful that the bird feeders were full.




a mourning dove looked down inquisitively



while Miss Callie visited at the side window with a chickadee perched in the Rose of Sharon,

tail swishing......


late in the afternoon a flock of quail came to clean up the gleanings on the ground

and just at dusk I saw them all flying up into the tall trees next door...... 

shelter for the night.

I heard the plants in the garden sigh comfortably, happy with the lovely new coverlet

and safe from King Winter's mighty wind.

5 comments:

Penny said...

What a lovely, absolutely beautiful post. I have visions of those eatherial( spelling?) dancers, love to translate them into cloth or paint.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

A beautiful post; almost (;>)) enough to make me want to move to snow country! (The birds are very lucky to have you looking out for them.)

Morning's Minion said...

The fine dry snow, wind-swirled, is a regular feature of Wyoming winters. During the final years we lived there I worked in a quilt shop in our little town, a mere three miles from home, yet to glance out at falling snow late in the afternoon made me anxious--once beyond the main streets side roads and driveways quickly disappeared into the white-out.
I'm glad you got safely to the library and back. One needs a goodly stack of books when a storm sets in.

Wanda..... said...

I so relate to your enjoyment of the day, whatever weather you wake to find, Hildred. Love the feeding of the birds and your appreciation of nature and description of those moments.

Barb said...

I so enjoy when you tell about your day, Hildred. Your words are like poetry painting pictures in my mind. I especially like to hear of your swirling,dancing snow - we had some, too!