Monday, July 11, 2011

This journey to another dwelling is fraught with the most complex emotions.


It is also fraught with lists and time and notions which come and go, and although I hate to wish time away I sometimes think how nice it would be if we were coming to the end of September and were all nicely settled, enjoying the late summer roses and the vivid colours of the chrysanthemums.

This morning we investigated the boxes which had been tucked into the pantry when last we moved six years ago.  There was the silver, wrapped in saran when it was newly polished and still gleaming faintly, - and a box of recipes that I had saved in the early days of my marriage when my cooking was full of enthusiasm.  I refused to throw it away the last time we moved, but time passes and a lot of the inventiveness lives in my mind now - a little creativity comes more naturally and so the contents of the box went into the recycle bag, with hardly a regret.  I believe this to be healthy thinking....

Will anyone want the silver?  Much of it is that forties grape pattern that is such a devil to clean.

Do the young ones have fond memories of the things I thrust upon them, and will they hold them dear?

I must go now and make out a list for tomorrow, - there is that box of crazy quilt pieces to finger and sigh over and perhaps if I leave a little sample square someone will be inspired!

And all the bits and pieces in the bottom drawer of the sewing machine, - the braids and buttons and bias binding, and the satin ribbons and unfinished embroidery.

Did I mention how much nostalgia is involved in this whole business?????


Mirjana Gotovac

4 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Oh Hildred, so much to do and to ponder over, decisions to make. Easier to put back into a box to think about at a later stage. That is what we did and we are still trying to let go of some of our "treasure". Eventually it will be sorted. Your new garden looks a delight so good luck with your sorting and the move. A x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah nostalgia Hildred. We all suffer from it, particularly when there is a move involved.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Hildred, I can honestly say I feel your ...well, mixed emotions! The recipe box struck a particular cord with me. All those dessert recipes and meals that fed at least 6 or 8 with leftovers -- great memories associated with them but no longer needed by the time we downsized.

Thinking of you and happy you are finding time to blog on your moving breaks.

VioletSky said...

Moving is good for sorting through the detritus of our lives, and for rekindling so many memories.
I just googled the artist of your print - I am glad you included her 'nostalgia' as an introduction to her work.