Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What a wretched lot of old shriveled creatures we shall be by-and-by.
Never mind - the uglier we get in the eyes of others,
the lovelier we shall be to each other; that has always been my firm faith about friendship. --George Eliot


I am unloading the dishwasher of yesterday's lunch dishes, and washing and putting away the good cutlery.

As I do it my heart is warm and my memories of yesterday's luncheon delight me.

We invited some friends from Charles' Class of '42 to share a meal with us, and to visit. Most of my invitations these days are by impulse, - if I think too long about them I am inclined to shy away, not being as adept at entertaining as I once was.

Our time together with these old, old friends was full of happy reminiscence, - laughter and good stories of the fellows' school day friendships. Tales of adventure and mischief and sometimes nostalgia.

Wives and husbands have all been adopted into this wonderful fellowship that the Class of '42 has maintained for the last sixty-seven years. Loosely at first, while everyone was scattered and busy with the demands of life and family, but for the last thirty years it has been a close and precious relationship. Far away class members don't have the energy to come to week-end reunions anymore, but the little core of friends who live close by keep the associations alive in small ways.

We lingered long over coffee and dessert. At no time does Charles let the opportunity to talk politics pass him by... We discussed the whereabouts of old school chums. I think they gossiped, - a little! We talked about being ancient, - its pluses and sometimes its drastic effect on health, but we also mused about paintings and modern music and the Dream Cafe. No rocking chair slouches present.

Reluctantly, four hours later we said goodby.

It was so warm and wonderful I could do it again, quite easily! Preferably next week, while the house is still in pristine company condition and the garden has not fallen back into its cheery but disheveled state.



There is nought better to be
With noble souls of company:
There is nought dearer than to wend
With good friends faithful to the end.
This is the love whose fruit is sweet;
Therefore to abide within is meet.
~Mahabharata (B.C.400)

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do so agree Hildred - I am the same - if I think too long about organising a dinner party then I decide I am past it - better to think, ring round, cook and eat before I have time to consider. There is nothing like sitting eating and chatting with old friends.

Rose said...

What a wonderful tradition you have kept! I am much the same way--if I think too long about it, I will find an excuse not to invite company over. I worry about the house being clean or the grass being trimmed, but I don't think friends really notice that at all.

Enjoyed your ABC post yesterday about attitude; I do think some people are born with a sunny disposition. However, we can all strive to keep that "green tree" in our hearts. I watched my almost-5-year-old grandson today; he often wears an expression like your young one's:) Today, though, he had Grandma's undivided attention, so he was all smiles.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It is indeed a lovely thing to spend time with old friends who really know you well! A gift. One of my oldest and dearest friends suggested we take an "us only" beach trip next month, and I think that sounds divine! It is so easy to be with old friends.

Thanks so much for your visit. You and Charles are welcome over at our place anytime!!