Tuesday, July 07, 2009

ABC Wednesday

Y is for YODELING

Wikipedia tells us a little of the technique of yodeling, but here is a wonderful example sung by the famous Canadian Balladeer, Wilf Carter, claimed with equal ardour in his birthplace in Nova Scotia and in the Canadian West where he put the cowboy culture to music.



"Yodeling involves singing an extended note which rapidly and repeatedly changes in pitch from the vocal or chest register (or "chest voice") to the falsetto/head register; making a high-low-high-low sound. This vocal technique is used in many cultures throughout the world.

In Alpine folk music, it was probably developed in the Swiss Alps as a method of communication between mountain peaks, later becoming part of the region's traditional music. In Persian and Azeri classical music, singers frequently use tahrir, a yodeling technique that oscillates on neighbor tones. In Georgian traditional music, yodelling takes the form of krimanchuli technique, and is used as a top part in three/four part polyphony. In Central Africa, Pygmy singers use yodels within their elaborate polyphonic singing......" from Wikipedia

If you think you might have this talent for yodeling, the best place to practice are in spots with an echo - the shower, around a lake, the outdoors, down a long hallway, out riding in the mountains, out hiking, - not sure about walking the dog, - depends where you are and who's around. Some people without soul may react to yodeling in the same way they react to bagpipes....

We had a dear friend who sang and yodeled at parties, and now he is gone we miss his wonderful renditions of many of Wilf Carter's songs.

Y is not an easy Letter, but do go to ABC Wednesday and explore the other postings that feature Y.

11 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

how original! I wonder if yodelers like to eat Yodels?
They used to be my favorite junk food.

Roger Owen Green said...

yodeling. like to hear, cannot do. well played.

photowannabe said...

Perfect and original post for Y. I love your comparison for some of yodeling and bagpipes being disliked with the same intensity.

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

I love them both, bagpipes and yodels...My aunt is from the Southern U.S and she can yodel really good. There wasn't a family get together where we didn't request her singing. I can still hear her begin "I want to be a cowboy sweet heart, I want learn to robe and to ride, I wasnt to......." Sing on Aunt Shirley!

magiceye said...

very interesting indeed!

Marie Reed said...

I loved this song!!! I DO yodel in the shower:)

Reader Wil said...

What an excellent choice for Y. I enjoyed listening to this yodeling. You are the first to write about this. Great post! Thanks.

Q said...

Wonderful!
I just love listening to this.
Very creative!
Sherry

Joy said...

Good double Y, I did't attempt to sing along! My father used to yodel and had all sorts of songs.

Rose said...

Very creative Y! I never could figure out how people could yodel; believe me, I've tried and failed miserably:)

I enjoyed the tour of your garden on your other blog; the Prairie Princess Rose is a flower I would love to add to my garden.

Jay said...

MOST original! Well done! LOL!

Yodelling .. you either love or hate, or laugh at it. But it is a legitimate art form, and that guy was very good!