Thursday, January 07, 2021

 Thursday, January 7th, 2021

Another of the January birthday days that overwhelm the family with love and good wishes, and both of these in great quantities to Nicola, up in the Cariboo!  How I wish I could have helped her celebrate today!

I have turned the TV down (not off. as I want to watch a program later in the evening).  

The TV has mirrored the image of a mish mash of topsy turvey mobs, all taking advantage of what they determine is an opportunity to riot and smash....so sad to see this kind of action in what has been a pretty civilized country for so many centuries.  I am of an age that the generation to which I belong is fairly restrained, courteous, and conscious of the greatest good for their country.  It pains me to see the disrespect and the raucousness of uncontrolled crowds, and I wonder what kind of people they are????  And what the future holds?

I grew up in the middle of the Great Depression, and although there were many financial difficulties, and probably a loss of self confidence among those who could not find work, nevertheless, as I remember it, there was still a great deal of compassion and support among people and communities.  I would like to think that this is still the same......

There was sunshine today!!!!!  Oh, hurrah, - January gets so miserable and weary without it, - especially when there is no snow to provide a pure white coverlet for the tired old grass. I was surprised by my cleaning lady who came this morning and polished up the floors and dusted where the Christmas decorations had been,

The amaryllis popped another bloom  - now there are four wonderfully petaled blossoms... These will do quite nicely until finally there will be daffodils in the store - not that I get to the store these days but I am sure youngest son, who shops, will keep an eye peeled!!!


                                           Lots of good mid-winter wishes, - soon it will be February 

                                                       and if there is snow it will be morphing 

                                               into little streamlets that make you think SPRING


4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Happy New Year Hildred. My Amaryllis is just bursting out on my kitchen window sill - and my thoughts are like yours - it will last until the shops have daffodils - and then at least I shall be reminded that Spring is just round the corner.

Ellen D. said...

I think there are a lot of people who are compassionate and caring in these days too. Unfortunately, the ones who are the most outrageous get the most attention on the internet and in the news.
Love the photo of your Amaryllis, Hildred.

Barb said...

Hildred I love the color of your Amaryllis. Bob surprised me by ordering us 2, but they only came after Christmas, so nothing to report as yet. One has some green shoots. I think your spring will come a couple months before mine!

Debby said...

My paperwhites have finally faded. They were so pretty. My hibiscus shows buds and of course the African violets have flowers. I love to have flowers in winter!