Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday, July 13th, 219

I  have been wandering the threads of the internet...

threads that connect me to people whom I have never met

and yet they seem like old friends

whose day by day, week by week or month by month blogs

I have been following for such a long time

that the writer's have gathered me into their circle of friends, -

and I them  -  albeit the friendships are somewhat restricted

in that we don't have tea and biscuits together!!!

The evening has cooled off quite nicely.

The last few days have been close and muggy

and in the afternoon I have closed the doors and turned the air on.

Tonight there is a bit of a breeze and the fresh night air is delightful.

This wonderful fresh night air

also blew my youngest son in to visit,

ad as always I was glad to see him, and had two questions

stored up to ask him.

 I am still reading Robert McFarlane's "Underland"

and finding it quite fascinating.

He is writing, amongst other things,

about caves, and about underground waterways,

both of which stirred my interest

and I was looking for confirmation of what

I remember about an icy cave on the far side of the valley,

up near the top of the mountain -  

one that Charles told me about, but it was only hearsay with him, too.

And I wanted to talk to our son about our early

years on the farm, when there was a waterfall

a little way up the hill above our acreage

and a stream that ran down the edge of the 

neighbouring veteran's land

which disappeared and ran underground for some time

before it reappeared and slid uder the culvert 

at the road edge.

Small boys  are more inclined to hear about such things

than are busy mothers with six children...

or at least they are a bit more intimate with 

the valley's land and waterways.

I did once visit the waterfall, and also the big flat rock

at the top of the adjoining hay field

where the children used to take sandwiches and cookies

for lunch.

There was a cave they used to tell me about,

just above our farm near the top of the hill,

but I didn't ever worm my way into it, -

It appears I led a very sheltered life.....

but what can you expect from a mother

with six wandering children!!

I enjoyed our visit - and now it is time to gather

up the dog and cat, give out bedtime treats

and lock the doors.

Bed beckons, with a sweet night's sleep


4 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Don't pop around for tea and biscuits today; I'm off to hear Robert Macfarlane talk at a folk music festival. His latest book "The Lost Words", a children's book written in collaboration with the artist Jackie Morris, is to be celebrated in song by many well-known folk singers and musicians. The book came about when Robert heard that many words such as "acorn" and "wren" had been removed from a children's dictionary in favour of hi-tech terms. He set about writing what he called "spells" to summon up these lost words. They are really short poems though he doesn't want to call himself a poet. The resultant book is illustrated by Jackie Morris. But it has also inspired songs and these are to be performed as part of the entertainment this afternoon.

Penny said...

I love dropping in to your blog but I am not much of a baker, farmers wife I once was. So no cakes but a tea or coffee I could give you.

Hill Top Post said...

I enjoyed the fact that you had questions to ask of your son. It is usually the other way around with the son asking questions of his mum. Either way, it such a nice thing when a son drops in.

Morning's Minion said...

Blogging is surely a way to make friends across the miles. I think many of us would like the chance to 'drop in' to see the gardens, the crafts, and the landscapes where others live, and to nurture an 'in person' friendship with our favorite bloggers.