Saturday, May 04, 2019




 The Bright Field

I have seen the sun break through
to illuminate a small field
for a while, and gone my way
and forgotten it.  But that was the pearl
of great price, the one field that had
the treasure in it.  I realize now
that I must give all that I have
to possess it.  Lfe is not hurrying

on to a receding future, nor hankering after
an imagined past.  It is the turning 
aside like Moses to the miracle
of the lit bush, to a brightness
that seemed as transitory as your youth
once, but is the eternity that awaits you.
R.S. Thomas

This morning, as I sat in the sun with my coffee
and "The Poetry of Presence"*
(an anthology of mindfulness poems)
this was the poem
that gave me pause for thought!!

and I remembered  taking this picture of the sun,
shining on the buttercups in this sunlit meadow,
on the way to 
Penticton
a few years ago


2 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm very fond of R S Thomas's poetry, though he was not a particularly amiable soul; one wouldn't want to be part of his family or indeed one of his parishioners, for he was a village parson. Despite his lack of social manners and his shortcomings as a preacher he was particularly good at visiting the sick - and of course he wrote some magnificent poetry.

Hildred said...

Thank you John, for the little tidbits about R.S. Thomas, - despite his failings he did write good poetry!!!