Tuesday, May 02, 2017

ABC Wednesday
May 3rd, 2013

The letter is Q, for Quoits

This ancient game 
whose history reaches back to Greek and Roman times
is not as popular as it once was

but in the United Kingdom
(and perhaps elsewhere)
in Scotland, Wales and Yorkshire

there are still Quoit pits
and on a summer's evening  
the music of the quoits
zinging through the air
and the melody as they clash with each other
in the clay pit
still draws rural gentlemen
to the game.



More Qs here at ABC Wednesday
with thanks to all who maintain this meme.

4 comments:

MelodyK said...

Although I don't come across it a lot lately, it is played over here in The Netherlands
We call it 'Ringen-Werpen' (literally translated: Rings-Throwing)

Nice choice for Q

The Weaver of Grass said...

Quoits is played quite a lot round here on various village greens.

Roger Owen Green said...

I've heard of it, never played.

ROG, ABCW

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know it only as a useful Scrabble word (actually did know it was a game -- but that was the extent of my knowledge). So I think this post qualifies as one of my new things to learn today!