Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Afternoon

January 15th, 2017

Sunday Afternoon

Just stuffed with delightful things...

First of all the temperature hit zero C and the sun shone for at least two hours!



The amaryllis I saved from last year started to bloom


I finished the long pink tube I was knitting, dropped the stitches
 I had added in the beginning,
made some pretty tassels to put on it
and here it is!


This is a wonderful recipe for mindless knitting.

You just go round and round three needles in plain knitting,
never having to peer at a pattern or wonder where you are.
It's great for taking to meetings, or carrying on conversations
and it morphs into a lovely lacy scarf.

I did a little spinning, with another scarf in mind..
A little out of practice and there were a few thin spots which
caused me to think of plying it......
but there, thin spots give it character.... 

While I was spinning I was listening to the Gabriel Faure Requiem
on the Knowledge network
For me the highlight of the concert was a beautiful rendition of
Faure's Pie Jesu.  I didn't catch the name of the soloist
but the performance left me a little breathless and damp-eyed.

Here is Barbara Bonney, marvelous lyrical soprano
as she sings Pie Jesu


Barbara Bonney - Pie Jesu

.........and my daughter brought me a chicken pot pie for supper!!!

What more can one ask for (aside from someone to share it with)

3 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Sounds like an excellent weekend. As someone who has never mastered the knitting needle I'm amazed that anyone can ever make anything from what is basically tying lots of knots in a length of wool - let alone being able to do it without needing to concentrate.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love that Faure too Hildred.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

A day filled with the pleasures that make an afternoon special for you. You always remind me that it is up to each of us to create our own special days.