Saturday, November 15, 2014

Seen (scene) on the Yellow Lake Pass

My DIL came early to pick me up for our monthly day out in Penticton.
The days of autumn glory and magic have passed.
Winter has made itself known, and the November days
are somber, sober and full of sad memories.
I thought that the camera would not be needed - but no!
DIL had come from Summerland
and passed through a mist-ical wonderland on her way .

Why would I not have known?  Time passes.
The world goes on about it's business of beautifying the earth,
no matter what the season, and so off we went,
camera tucked into the big bag containing all the other things
that I deem essential.....

Here is a pictorial record of our journey.....


                                                                                
            
There is calm water around the wharves but just
off shore the steamy mist rises
and the grasses are delicately gilded.                 



This is a mountain lake and the rocks rise directly out of the water.
                       


The reflection of the painterly bank is subdued by the rising mists,



and here, where the highway turns toward the end of the lake, one
could imagine all sorts of images in the colours and the formation of the rocks.
Be there dragons in yon hills????


We pass the golf course where the sun lays long shadows over the links, and 
one lone trees hangs on to its dying leaves


As we start our descent into the Okanagan Valley by way of Roadhouse Hill
we come across a small waterfall, hardly noticeable in the summer
but here, in November, when it gets no sun, it comes into
its icy glory and we admire its pristine beauty.

Last year some merry elf somehow added pink colouring 
to the water before it froze,
and it was rather a garish waterfall!!  
Not what I prefer!




We skirt Skaha Lake, coming into Penticton, the hills still blue and misty


But it is warmer, and the water is a clear and beautiful blue.


We do our business, visiting Debbie's Diner for coffee and a visit with family.
We pick up the knobs for the drawers on the new Captain's Bed
I have just bought
(me now being the Captain, I guess)
 and some Medi Cal food for Callie,
who has a great passion for it
and it's so good for her bladder.
I found the right size bag for the vacumn cleaner,
 and then we went for lunch - delicious.  
At the Pasta Factory.

I had Creme Brulee for dessert!!!!!

On the way home we saw two ducks waddling down the city street, -
 as we passed them they turned into a walkway leading to a house.
Home?????


As we went down the Channel Parkway
we saw large numbers of the geese
who stay around all year
and cause great consternation to people and places with lawns.
They were enjoying the water which joins Okanagan Lake to Skaha Lake,
free at last from all those pesky summer visitors
 who raft down the channel,
probably drinking beer and playing loud music.




As we drive along the beach highway
I was able to get a nice picture of the hills, leaving Penticton,
but was not quick enough to catch the lovely view of blue hills,
in the misty distance, as we rounded the highway into Kaleden.



I remember when Penticton was a sleepy town,
 and the stores were small
and the restaurants full of people one knew
and chatted with.
Not any more....

Today I was introduced to a very sophisticated washroom
in the Pasta Factory where we lunched,
and the facilities all start and stop by themselves, -
 don't get around much any more to learn about these things!!!!





5 comments:

Penny said...

Love that waterfall, actually I love all the photos. Thank you.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hildred - that record of your journey is absolutely beautiful. Yes, I agree, sad memories at certain times of the year are inevitable, but there is nothing like a trip out with scenery like this to lift your spirits again, is there?

Morning's Minion said...

Your opening words catch the darkness that I associate with November--my least favorite time of year. But what a glory of photos as you made your journey--majestic scenery, though icy and cold--a contrast to the thought of a warm cafe and the return to a snug home.

Barb said...

Another lovely drive with signs of impending winter. That waterfall is glorious. I had to laugh at your comment about the newfangled bathrooms - I often stand and move my hand around under the faucet as though I'm waving a wand - hoping the darn thing will turn on and give me some water! Creme Brûlée is one of Bob's favorites. About 3' of snow here, Hildred - it has snowed steadily all week.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful pictures. Every season is beautiful in your eyes and with your camera (tho even your talent and joy can't make it look warm there and you already know me and my winter feelings). The waterfall really is a little bit of magic -- appearing only in the winter to bring some joy to the season!