Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Idioms

ABC Wednesday
March 12th, 2014

The letter this week is I
I for Idiom

An Idiom is a phrase where the words together have a meaning that is different from the dictionary definition of the individual words.

Phrases such as:  singing the blues



at your fingertips




nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs 



 jumping in with both feet



yesterday's news



spit nails



Well, you get the drift!!!



For more great interpretations of the letter I idle on over to ABC Wednesday, here
with thanks to Denise and Roger and all their intrepid and industrious helpers.

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love that cat and rocking chairs one Hildred - I have never heard that before.

Roger Owen Green said...

Great idioms!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Morning's Minion said...

'nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs;
I hadn't heard that before, but how appropriate for my house full of cats--all those tails to mind!

uberrhund said...

Great post for letter "I" , brought a smile to my face!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Very good! These make it hard for people who aren't native English speakers. I wonder if every language has idioms. (I'm confessing my ignorance here.)

Powell River Books said...

Idioms make learning English a challenge. They also differ as you move from place to place. - Margy

Leslie: said...

These are great! I have 3 Chinese students right now who are trying to get around our English language idioms! It's hard for foreigners.

Leslie
abcw team