Friday, January 24, 2014

Yesterday was heavenly.  Blue sky and sunshine all day long!  Callie and I went out and fed the birds, wandered around in the garden, moved some leaves and found a dozen Lenten Roses in bud, sat on the blue bench at the back and dreamed of spring and pots of flowers and bulbs and vegetables.
 
Took pictures of the pussy willow branches against the lovely blueness of the sky.
 
 
the sunshine coming through the open door
 
 
and brightening up the plants that hug the window and watch for spring


Today we are in the midst of an inversion, which I take it to mean that the big grey pot has been inverted over the whole countryside and we are back in the damp clutch of winter.  The little pools of melted ice have frozen into danger spots for ladies with canes!
 
Still, it was a heart lifting glimpse into the future.....
 
a plus - here is a picture of yesterday's bird calendar page
 
 
a Puffin, caught in the headlights (so to speak) as he comes in for
 
an oh! oh! landing!!!!

4 comments:

Dimple said...

The puffin and red anthurium (I think that's it's name...) echo each other's color. I'm glad you had a day of sunshine. Blessings!

Barb said...

I can't believe your willows are so far along! I'm not sure about Miss Callie "feeding" the birds. Glad you got to soak up some sun, Hildred. Watch out for that ice now - winter is not quite finished with you, I think.

Morning's Minion said...

Before we plunged into this stretch of freezing weather there were a few silvery buds emerging on the goat willow. I am fearful for my herb garden and the perennials--doesn't do to think about lost plants.
Mind the ice--such a small patch of it can be treacherous.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That puffin is quite a clown -- a bird I want so badly to see in "real" (we have only seen them in the Oregon Coast aquarium). I LOVE that your pussy willows are already beginning to blossom. There is hope for spring! (I remember late January and early February in Oregon were often like that ... but just as you say, you can be plunged back into winter at a moments notice.