Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Tuesday, the first day of May


The tulips open their lovely petals to the sun, and to any fairies who might still be around after their merry May Day celebration under the pretty moon that flooded the bedroom window early this morning..... Charles told me about it, - (the moon, I mean - he's not one inclined to fairyland).  I didn't see it myself, being fast asleep enjoying a pleasant dream which I can't remember now, but when I wakened I did remember it quite happily as it seemed that whatever was happening  was better than what usually happens in real life.  Wistful dreaming I guess.....

I'm not sure if whoever ordered up the weather for the first of May realized we had flipped over the calendar, as it still seemed like a typical fickle April day, - sunny one moment, cloudy the next, and a chilly wind came down occasionally from the very tops of the highest mountains where the snow still sparkles in the sunlight.

I'm not sure why Labour picked the first of May to broadcast their discontent, or why the media makes such a big thing of it.  Down at the other end of the country,  in Montreal, some of the students from the University have been causing  a great deal of annoyance to everyone else who lives there; marching in the streets, masked and arrogant, protesting a raise of $300.00 in tuition fees over the next five years (or is it seven) when they already enjoy tuition fees which are half of the average of those in other Provinces.

Only some of the students are striking, - those who are passionate about Entitlements and the Student Union.  Those who are passionate about obtaining a degree are back in their engineering, law, medical, mathematical and science classes being diligent and mature and sensible.

What I find particularly sad and puzzling is the involvement of some of the more leftist faculty members in this meaningless student strike; and what makes me particularly angry is the financial support which the Student Unions are obtaining from Canadian Public Unions.

I watched one of the students camped out in a city park twirling around in a hoola hoop, and I know I rolled my eyes!!!

Well, never mind, - it is the first day of May and through all the ages poets have written fair words about the beauty of the month.  I'm sure I could find one for each day of May, - and perhaps I will.....

A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.
O I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;
For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?

Sara Teasdale  MAY DAY

We have a friend who sends wonderful pictures of treks in the mountains and the woods, and here are some of the earliest spring flowers on the mountains





and some anemones from the little bed outside the picket fence at the front of the house


As you can see I have been messing about with Photoshop again!

and a P.S.
this is post # 901 for Daybyday

Happy May Day!!!

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

April ended here with a light shower and then first day of May ended with an enormously strong thunderstorm, louder and longer than any of my 67 years have seen! Anxious for dawn to break, in order to check the trees. Plus, we are in 8o degree temps and it's only the beginning of May!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Your wildflower is gorgweous.

P is for Pizzaroni
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team