Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday, April 14th, 2010

A note to myself.....

A year or two ago one of my lovely granddaughters gave me a Journal of such beauty, and filled with such meaningful quotations that I have resisted using it because nothing I think I might use it for seems to match the beauty of the pages.

 However I do keep it close at hand and occasionally I leaf through it and become very inspired by some of the quotes, such as this one by Thomas a Kempis

"Love is a great thing, a great good in every way
it alone lightens what is heavy and leads smoothly
over all roughness"

I would remember this when I grow impatient and search for the grace to be loving instead of miserable and cranky.  Cranky and Grumpy - a couple of curmudgeons that blow steadily at the candle of love that lightens the days and brings pleasure to the hours, especially as one ages.

Annie Sullivan says "You can't touch love, but you can feel the sweetness it pours into everything."



Not to change the subject, but here, on this page, is a little humour in an observation by John Stephen Strange..

"Adaptable as human beings are and have to be          
I sometimes sympathize with the chameleon who
had a nervous breakdown on a patchwork quilt...."

Laughter goes hand in hand with Love, and this little book contains both, so perhaps it is time I started to use it.

I have been neglecting my little pile of "Small Stones" that capture beauty in a few lovely, smooth words.

Is this maybe what these pages are meant to record?

2 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your 'small stones' would be wonderful to record in that beautiful journal Hildred. (I think pretty much anything your say would be worthy of the journal -- I'm sure that's what your granddaughter was thinking when she gave it to you!).

Cranky and Grumpy are not strangers in these parts unfortunately, but we both try to keep them away as often as possible. (Bill is more successful at it.) The chameleon made me laugh.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Glad you both enjoy your 'walks' with me on my blog. I enjoy these little chats with you too.